Hello from the Texas Tortoise

Texas Tortoise

Hi Everyone,

We are in Austin Texas and (after a lot of research) just came home with our very first tortoise - a baby leopard tortoise. I just posted some pics and newbie questions in the Leopard section but I thought I would also introduce ourselves to the general forum here - Hello! We have really appreciated finding the forum and using it as a research tool while deciding about which tortoise to get and how to set up a good environment. I hope we have done a good job getting started but this is out first tortoise (or reptile) so we are happy to have any advice.

Thanks & Hello,
The Texas Tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Congrats, leopards are great. Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper raising of your leopard to be happy, healthy and smooth. The sulcata threads will also apply.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Texas Tortoise

Thanks! We have read many of Toms posts and that is why I added the top and started working on humidity. You are impacting new owners in their care b/c we just found this info from a google search and started utilizing the info& changing our set up. THANKS for taking the time to write it up and get it out there for us. Although the reptile shop we purchased from seems knowledgeable they did not focus on humidity. I know the owner has had Leopards for many many years. I know these babies came from Houston & they know and have used the breeder in the past. I thought finding a local tortoise was better than shipping but maybe that isn't the case.
In the first post Tom mentions that Sulcatas are born during the rainy season - is that true of Leopards as well? After the few years do you attempt to provide a humid environment or once the tortoise is large enough for an outdoor enclosure do you stop controlling humidity? I guess you could always try for a humid hide outside. Do you guys do that?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hello from Houston. The amount of humidity you need to provide for an adult is less. What's the average humidity level up there. I'm close enough to the gulf that all I do is provide a heated night box outside for mine. The night box is also Toms design.

Texas Tortoise

Thanks Tortdad, Its doesn't feel as humid as Houston but Austin does have a fair amount of humidity during parts of the year. Austin's avg humidity ranges from 40s to 80s w/occasional days above and below. I'm trying to figure out what to set up for his home while he is little. Originally we were going to use a tort table/open system but since reading info here we have switched to creating a terrarium/closed system. Right now he is in a 10gal tank and we are trying to figure out what to buy/build for him for the next few years. We are thinking a 40gal tank with cover but I'm having a hard time getting the right temps/humidity/light in our current tank w a lid & I really worry that things could easily get too hot. Long term we plan to have an outside yard w little tort house for his main setup once he is large enough to spend most of his time outside. Do you have an indoor enclosure for your older Houston tortoises or are they outside most of the year? Does anyone have the product info for the reptile thermostat that Tom uses to control his CHE and keep the indoor housing ambient temps around 80?

Texas Tortoise

10 gal was just a stop gap measure to get him out of open table and into something with humidity control asap. We are trying to figure out what to make/buy for him that will last as his indoor house for a while. What did you use? I've looked at the enclosure posts but I'm looking for a simple cost effective solution for inside and we want to spend more time and energy on a great outside set up. When did you put yours out in Houston? How long does a 40gal last?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
10 gal was just a stop gap measure to get him out of open table and into something with humidity control asap. We are trying to figure out what to make/buy for him that will last as his indoor house for a while. What did you use? I've looked at the enclosure posts but I'm looking for a simple cost effective solution for inside and we want to spend more time and energy on a great outside set up. When did you put yours out in Houston? How long does a 40gal last?

Have you seen this yet?

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chamber-leopard-edition.109634/

Texas Tortoise

Wow! That is amazing. What a great idea to use a gardening cold frame designed to hold in heat and humidity. Thank you for sharing! I missed the closed chamber info in the leopard section.