Hello from TinyHerms!

tinyherms

Tiny Herms is just shy of 1 year old. He's an Eastern Hermanni, but don't call him common! He is the king of his topsoil heap and he doesn't consider himself a pet.
As for me, I'm a new owner and nervous as hell. I've researched for ages and tried to get all the right kit, but when I look into his little black eyes I feel like I'm looking through a hall of mirrors to many, many millennia ago. I have everything to learn.
I've spent a few months learning to grow tortoise-friendly plants and a few months foraging on forums for advice, but the real thing is another matter... I'm interested in observations of behaviour and how to make sure the little tiny herms is as happy and healthy as can be.
My approach to tortoise-keeping is long-term. I'd like to think that I'm looking after him for the next generation. His environment is a world that I have the power to construct and design to the best effect for me and tiny.
I'm curating a tortoise! Help me!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi tinyherms they are mind boggling aren't they? Can you post pics of your tort and his home so that the more experienced keepers can make suggestions and offer advice etc. Welcome to you and your tort.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Do you have some night heat there - like a che on a thermostat?

tinyherms

Not sure what a che is, but he has his own room - our guest room - so it is warm enough for humans to sleep and not too cosy for a species that needs some temperature variation, I hope....

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't have a Hermanns so not sure what your temps and humidity should be but have you found the caresheets for Hermanns in Species Specific yet? That will tell you all about that and how best to keep torty happy and healthy and save you money on vets bills etc. Also the Enclosures section will give you great ideas. Another thread I found useful was the Beginners Mistakes as it saves us making the same mistakes as others.

A che uses the same fitting as a bulb but only gives out heat as torts need complete darkness to sleep.
Mine looks like this but some are white.
images

tinyherms

I've looked at a bunch of care sheets and think probably he needs to be a bit cool at night because he's an EU member, bred in the UK and legit, but his heritage is Croatian (or thereabouts). I'll check out beginners mistakes, for sure. Thanks for the recommendation. What kind of tortoise do you have, Lyn W?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've looked at a bunch of care sheets and think probably he needs to be a bit cool at night because he's an EU member, bred in the UK and legit, but his heritage is Croatian (or thereabouts). I'll check out beginners mistakes, for sure. Thanks for the recommendation. What kind of tortoise do you have, Lyn W?

I have a leopard aged between 2 -10! He was found and no one claimed him so I kept him. I had no idea about torts at all before last July but thanks to this forum I have learned and continue to learn something new everyday. He has completely changed my life as he has to come first now but we're stuck with each other and wouldn't change it for the world - unless I really thought I couldn't do my best for him anymore.

tinyherms

I'm so glad you're "stuck with each other". Sounds ace! I'm here to learn, too. I think a Leopard is an African species so maybe he needs to be a bit more toasty than his European cousin. But correct me if I'm wrong!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm so glad you're "stuck with each other". Sounds ace! I'm here to learn, too. I think a Leopard is an African species so maybe he needs to be a bit more toasty than his European cousin. But correct me if I'm wrong!

Couldn't really say without checking what yours should be but that would make sense, They don't hibernate so temps have to be kept up all year around, very expensive.

tinyherms

Sounds pricey! Mine has already hibernated once as a real baby. The breeder was a pro. If I'm confident enough I'll invest in a tortoise fridge for him when hibernation time comes round. At the moment I'm at the stage where think he might be dead every time he goes to sleep so I might over-winter him (i.e. keep him awake through winter without hibernation).

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sounds pricey! Mine has already hibernated once as a real baby. The breeder was a pro. If I'm confident enough I'll invest in a tortoise fridge for him when hibernation time comes round. At the moment I'm at the stage where think he might be dead every time he goes to sleep so I might over-winter him (i.e. keep him awake through winter without hibernation).
I was the same when I first had mine constantly checking to see if I could hear breathing/moving. Yes if you do a search on hibernation you'll find the opinions of different folk. I had no idea there was so much involved in preparing a tort for hibernation and I think I would be worried too.

tinyherms

Oh thank goodness someone else was worried about tortoise death by sleeping!! Defo worried about hibernation. I think it will be mind over matter, or vice versa. I think if I spend enough time on this forum and learning more about the behaviour of tinyherms, I might (might might might) be ready by the time autumn rolls around. He is sooo tiny, though. Yours looks a bit bigger. Little tiny super herms is the size of my pinky, so I do worry that the small miniscule changes might not be observable to the naked eye. I'm going to get a magnifying glass.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think I've read that some don't hibernate babies in order to give them a head start growth wise etc but then there's also amazing stories about hatchlings of some species spending all winter in the ground and only being found in the spring. Then there's worries about predators like rats chewing off different bits (mine has a foot missing) I don't suppose that would be an issue in a fridge indoors though.

You'll just have to read, ask as much as you need and talk to the experienced keepers and breeders etc to help you way up the pros and cons. There's far more to tortoise keeping than people think isn't there - and I include myself in that!

tinyherms

There is so much more than you can realise. Thanks for the advice and the very warm welcome to the forum! Please do keep in touch. I'm signing off. Tinyherms is my bellwether. Long abed! All the best to you.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Good evening, Tinyherms and your owner, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Great intro and sense of humour you have there.
I too understand it's not a good idea to hibernate baby tortoises.
My Tidgy is a Greek, a cousin of your Hermann's and I've always over-wintered her.
Now she is 5 or so, I'm thinking of hibernating her this year, but am rather nervous myself.
Enjoy the forum.