Hello from Tommy and I

TommyTheTort?

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi all
Just joined this morning and loving it here so far! ?
I'm Gary and I live in Scotland just outside of Glasgow.
I have a Hermann's Tortoise ? and his name is Tommy.

I'm wondering if anyone could kindly tell me something about him?
He hi 5 "Inches long & he weighs 370g.
Is it possible to tell his age by how long he is? I'm thinking he's still quite young if he is 5" long?

His owner sadly died and this is how I came to have him so he's an adopted boy.
Thanks all,u look forward to meeting you all.
Gary & Tommy ?

Attachments

• 20211105_213803.jpg
    20211105_213803.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29

RatQueen_Irene

Corvallis, Oregon
Greetings c:

Hermann male tortoises usually max out somewhere around 5 inches, he probably is fully grown, maybe has a bit more room for growth if younger or potentially mis-sexed and a female which grow an inch or two larger. He does look to have some rather severe pyramiding that could have stunted growth, it won't reverse entirely, but further pyramiding may be able to be prevented

Giving some details as to how he is currently being kept may help ensure that, both enclosure (temps, substrate, heating method, humidity, lighting, uvb, etc) and diet (meals, if calcium is offered)

Here's a care sheet for the species, to double check care is being met with research done already:
Thread 'The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
The caresheet linked above is the most up to date you'll find anywhere and if you follow that your tort should do well. Ask as many questions as you like to clarify anything.
If you want to post pics we can help you make sure his enclosure and lamps are is as safe as possible to keep him happy and healthy.

TommyTheTort?

Scotland
Thank you very much Maggie and Irene for the pointers,much appreciated!
I think the photos are quite deceiving as I've just had a little look at them there when you mentioned the pyramiding,his carapace when touched feels smooth but firm,no lumps or bumps but I can certainly see why you said this and appreciate you making me aware of it,it's something I came across while doing my research before I went on to bring him home ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome and thanks for taking Tommy into your care. Pics of your enclosure and heating and UVB lights would be great. A lot of the time a pet store will give you the improper equipment.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome to the forum. My little Russian is 5 inches and they are about the same size as a Hermann. It just depends on the tortoise itself how big they'll be. Like every other animal including human. I'm glad you found the forum right away. I wish I had.? It really helps to have other tortoise owners and the experts here to discuss everything with.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hi all
Just joined this morning and loving it here so far! ?
I'm Gary and I live in Scotland just outside of Glasgow.
I have a Hermann's Tortoise ? and his name is Tommy.

I'm wondering if anyone could kindly tell me something about him?
He hi 5 "Inches long & he weighs 370g.
Is it possible to tell his age by how long he is? I'm thinking he's still quite young if he is 5" long?

His owner sadly died and this is how I came to have him so he's an adopted boy.
Thanks all,u look forward to meeting you all.
Gary & Tommy ?
Greetings,
I would recommend Chris Leone’s care guide & information on the Hermann species. He is a well known expert with that specific species. You can also learn about different locales of Western, Eastern, Dalmatian and a few others and differentiate where they originated from :)

You can check out his website:
https://www.hermannihaven.com/

from care, to environment, species you will find everything you need to learn about the awesome Hermann’s.

We need to see your Tommy’s set up temps. Cool side & basking side. To help you make any possible adjustments to better the health of your Tommy.

TommyTheTort?

Scotland
Greetings,
I would recommend Chris Leone’s care guide & information on the Hermann species. He is a well known expert with that specific species. You can also learn about different locales of Western, Eastern, Dalmatian and a few others and differentiate where they originated from :)

You can check out his website:
https://www.hermannihaven.com/

from care, to environment, species you will find everything you need to learn about the awesome Hermann’s.

We need to see your Tommy’s set up temps. Cool side & basking side. To help you make any possible adjustments to better the health of your Tommy.
Thanks very much for the info you've passed on to me Taylor,I'll be sure to check all that out!
Yes I'll attach a few pics to this reply so you can see what I've done for him and any further tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated and taken on board. ??

Attachments

• 20211105_213924.jpg
    20211105_213924.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211105_180513.jpg
    20211105_180513.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211111_105548.jpg
    20211111_105548.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211111_105535.jpg
    20211111_105535.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 9

TommyTheTort?

Scotland
Welcome and thanks for taking Tommy into your care. Pics of your enclosure and heating and UVB lights would be great. A lot of the time a pet store will give you the improper equipment.
Hello and thanks for your reply ?
I'm attaching a few pics.
He has the proper uva uvb bulb in his table and I've got a heat matt in his bedroom section.
Any tips and info will be greatly appreciated! ??20211105_213924.jpg20211105_180513.jpg20211105_180521.jpg20211111_105530.jpg20211111_105548.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If the UVB light is a CFL type. The bulb that is coiled or looped. Those are hard on their eyes. The flouresnt type tube made by Arcadia HO 5.0 is what is preferred.
But I did read a article that the reputable companies that make the CFL. Has changed their manufacturing methods. So the CFL is supposedly safe since 2009. So it might take the tortoise community time to have faith in them again. But for me I don't want my tortoise to be the ginny pig. You should remove the hay from his hide. It will end up molding. The substrate you have is fine in the hide also.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome from Devon -Tommy looks lovely, and I am sure you will have lots of fun with him. We have a Hermanns tortoise too, called Zola - he is 21 years old, and we have had him since he was a baby. He started off looking much like Tommy, but his patterns have become much less clear over the years. He has a great personality, and I think Tommy probably will too .
Very best wishes from Angie
P.S. My husband was born in Glasgow, but emigrated to Canada when he was 4 - I think Glasgow must be a very interesting place to live, but a bit chilly, perhaps?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome from Devon -Tommy looks lovely, and I am sure you will have lots of fun with him. We have a Hermanns tortoise too, called Zola - he is 21 years old, and we have had him since he was a baby. He started off looking much like Tommy, but his patterns have become much less clear over the years. He has a great personality, and I think Tommy probably will too .
Very best wishes from Angie
P.S. My husband was born in Glasgow, but emigrated to Canada when he was 4 - I think Glasgow must be a very interesting place to live, but a bit chilly, perhaps?
Do Herrmans need a top on the enclosure to keep humidity in?