Hello from Tucson!

Donnette Keys

I have recently been gifted four Sulcata hatchlings...they are at least 4 months old now. I will have to confirm their hatch date. Does anyone know if tortoises pick their humans like say pups or cats do? My hatchlings will respond to me, even climb up into my hands. Especially at feeding time. My husband (who works from home and watches them for me) says they sleep all day until they hear me and then they become active. I would love to think I have bonded with them.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Donnette
Torts don't love not even their baby's . But do follow the food so they may see you as the " Food God " but you and me can still love them !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459272748.318642.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
this is an often discussed topic in our forum. they are reptiles so they have a reptile brain but to be honest with you I can't say one way or the other even after 30 years of tortoise keeping. I just enjoy them and take care of them. Salutations

Donnette Keys

Hehehe, they are a major source of my happiness! Although they do not emote....I am sure one of them is a Sooners Basketball fan! ;0)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello and welcome from Texas! Wow! 4 little sullies! I can imagine cuteness overload you must have every day at feeding/bath time:)

Rue

Canada
I don't see why they couldn't bond...at least at some level. Not like a cat or dog of course -but still with some positive anticipation/association . .. of food or a scratch...with any particular person.