Hello from upstate NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amandavk

5 Year Member
Hello everyone... My name is Amanda and I'm very excited to find all of you! I look forward to learning more about my Leopard Tortoise "Toby". Toby came to me as a rescue about 5 years ago. He was young (not sure how old exactly). My biggest challenge is finding the best care/diet for him living in New York. I have read about diet and housing but its been difficult finding specifics for a leopard tortoise that lives in New York. Summer is the only time of the year Toby gets outside. I'm confused on what temps and humidity are okay for him. I've read he shouldn't be outside with temps over 90 degrees and humidity over 70%. Then I will read the higher the humidity the better. I have read high humidity causes upper respiratory problems. My head starts spinning and I get frustrated because I want nothing but the best for Toby.
Proper diet is also a concern of mine. When he came to me he was only eating lettuce. Currently, Toby eats Tim grass soaked in water so its wet, then I mix a little green or red leaf lettuce in just to get him to eat the tim hay. I also have zoo med's grassland tortoise food that I soak but he's not a huge fan of it so I have been pushing the Tim hay more recently. Once a week, I will dice up ONE of the following... cherry tomato, a few carrot peels, a small strawberry, or red raspberry to add a little variety.
I would be very grateful for any advice.
Toby and I thank you!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D forget the fruit and veggies. Get broad leaf greens and spring mix, also optunia cactus pads, can order online, also Mazuri tortoise diet, he might like it better then the zoo med., also weeds, flower and plants. Check out thetortoisetable and the tortoise library for edible plant ideas. Temps of 90 is fine, as long as they have shade to get under. Always have water available, inside and outside. Use a saucer, like what goes under flower planter pots. Make sure he can get in and out himself. Higher humidity is what they need as hatchlings to grow smooth. Not needed so much when larger, but they can handle it as long as they are not cold. Others might fill in what I may have forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.