Hello! From Vancouver Island Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat_r

5 Year Member
I've been lurking for a few days and figured it would make sense to actually introduce myself. I've been active on other tortoise forums in the past under nat_the_brat but that was years and years ago. I've noticed some familiar faces from those forums... good to see some people are still around and going strong in the hobby and online community.

My name is Nat and I'm from Canada. I've kept tortoises for about a decade now in different capacities (sometimes as rescues, both in association with a reptile rescue as well as independently) and also as my own pets I was committed too. I have experience with Russians, Yellow foots, Red foots, and Sulcatas but I've the most experience with the sulcatas and red foots.

Up until recently I kept a small herd of 5 sub adult and adult red foots (many of which were rescues people gave me but I just kept as my own or adopted from reptile rescues in my area). I also had a sulcata named Mona whom I was given almost a decade ago when I was only 19. I didn't know what I was getting into when I first accepted her. I didn't know what a sulcata was, only that it was a tortoise needing a home. She came from a pet store that had gotten her off of someone who didn't want her anymore, and the pet store was shutting down and didn't know what to do with her and wanted her to go to a good home (they knew me there as someone who was enthused about reptiles).

Fast forward this summer... ALL of my tortoises including my sulcata were stolen from me. I don't really want to focus on the negative but I had left some people I considered good friends in charge of my tortoises while I was out of the country and I returned to discover that these people had vanished with my tortoises. I've been trying to track them down for 6 months now but I suspect the tortoises have been sold... as I found out the people were living out of RVs in the summer and I now have learned that they are likely living a gypsy lifestyle without an actual residence. So I've lost most hope of recovering them. I am however consulting with a lawyer next week in regards to my options.

After seeing how sad I've been these past few months (the tortoises were my babies!) my husband has encouraged me to consider getting a new tortoise. We've spent a lot of time renovating our spare room in anticipation for our tortoises returning and now it sits empty. I recently on a whim started looking into Leopard tortoises. I had always been very interested in them but between my red foots and my sulcata I felt I was maxed out on commitment. I am now 5 months pregnant and as much as I was in love with my sulcata Mona I feel that a Leopard tortoise might be a better overall fit for my growing family... and being a newly wed, I figured it will be easier on my husband and relatives to care for in the event I need assistance.

Anyways, in my search for a Leopard tortoise I came to meet Jeremy from C and C Tortoises. He directed me to this forum. I am also happy to say I put a deposit on one of his baby Leopard tortoises. So here I am! slowly easing back into the world of tortoises. It's a bittersweet process as I can't help but think of the tortoises I lost and wonder where they are and if they are alright but at the same time I know I have a lot of space and care to offer a tortoise, and am excited that my child will have a tortoise-sibling his or her own age to grow up with!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What a great story! Well not about what happened to your tortoises, that was sad. I feel like I kinda have a nice picture of you shaping up in my head. Glad you are getting started again and a Leopard is a great choice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Nat!

Status
Not open for further replies.