Hello from Washington State!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I am soaking him once or twice a day for about 20 minutes in lukewarm water. If he doesn’t poo the first time I do it again later.
The temperature of the whole room is 80f and the humidity stays around 89%. His basking spot stays between 98 and 100f.
His diet is mostly greens right now. We ordered cactus from tortoise town.com. And we got Mazuri also, although I keep reading inconsistent information on how often to feed it to him. Is this a once a week thing or every couple days?

He needs to have food available at all times. Feed him on the morning and make sure he has a little bit left at the end of the day.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I am soaking him once or twice a day for about 20 minutes in lukewarm water. If he doesn’t poo the first time I do it again later.
The temperature of the whole room is 80f and the humidity stays around 89%. His basking spot stays between 98 and 100f.
His diet is mostly greens right now. We ordered cactus from tortoise town.com. And we got Mazuri also, although I keep reading inconsistent information on how often to feed it to him. Is this a once a week thing or every couple days?
The greens should be available at all times. The mazuri is a great way to supplement the diet but I would not feed it more than 3 times a week. I offer it to my tort once or twice a week as a good part of the meal(soaked and mixed with weeds and grass clippings)

SweetKaykes

Bellingham, WA
The greens should be available at all times. The mazuri is a great way to supplement the diet but I would not feed it more than 3 times a week. I offer it to my tort once or twice a week as a good part of the meal(soaked and mixed with weeds and grass clippings)

Awesome! Thank you!

SweetKaykes

Bellingham, WA
He needs to have food available at all times. Feed him on the morning and make sure he has a little bit left at the end of the day.

Okay. Thank you. I’ve just been putting a few greens in there every couple hours because it wilts so fast. So I continue doing this?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Not sure how other torts feel about wilted greens but my 2 Russians don't mind. I feed in the morning and they nibble through out the day. By the afternoon everything is limp and shriveled but they keep nibbling. I'm curious if that is true for others.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Not sure how other torts feel about wilted greens but my 2 Russians don't mind. I feed in the morning and they nibble through out the day. By the afternoon everything is limp and shriveled but they keep nibbling. I'm curious if that is true for others.
My tort is perfectly fine with eating wilted greens too... But he is very unpicky about what he eats.

Melis

Maryland
I will definitely look into a new water bowl, I saw another comment about this as well. As for the humidity, he is in his own room in the house and we keep the humidity and temperature of the room controlled. My husband is an indoor gardener for a big business so he was able to set up this room so that it holds humidity well. And we have a thermostat that reads humidity and temperature and so far it has been able to remain consistent.
I read about this sand and I read that it helped them become strong, I feed him on the rocks though to keep sand out of his food. I also read that rocks will help him become strong as well.
The other side is organic cocoa. That is where I plan to plant his food so he will be living in his own garden. We will get the seeds in a couple days, we ordered them.
All this is just from stuff I’ve read and researched, please let me know if I am wrong about any of this.
What are you using for the room to maintain the high temps and high humidity?

SweetKaykes

Bellingham, WA
What are you using for the room to maintain the high temps and high humidity?

My boyfriend is an indoor gardener and his plants need high temps and humidity as well. So he set up the room for me like one of his grow rooms. Everything is controlled by a remote and I am checking the temp and humidity multiple times a day, but it has stayed consistent so far.

coshepard

Ladera Ranch
Yesterday I became a proud mommy of a little baby African Spurred tortoise. I have been researching these guys for months to make sure I was as prepared as possible. I just joined this group so I could learn from people who have raised these guys from hatchlings. If anyone has experience with these little guys and has anything interesting to share, I would love to hear it!

View attachment 258393
SO CUTE!!! you have a great enclosure for it, I hope the tort. will make you so happy!!!:)