Hello from western Washington!

Holly.c.gamble

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham WA
Hello!

My name is Holly! I'm from Bellingham WA (2 hours north of Seattle) and I'm new to the forum! I am just beginning my journey as a tortoise owner. I joined the forum to share my passion for animals as well as gain knowledge of tortoises to better the keeping style for the new little life I plan to add to my ever growing family. I am currently planning for a russian tortoise. I have set up an indoor enclosure and while an outdoor setup is not possible where I live I do make daily trips out to my local dog park with a rather large field (kept mowed for soccer) that my new addition will get to enjoy each day we go out that the little one can have supervised run time in. I'm looking for advice on my current setup (I cant change much but ideas for the next setup when we move again in a year or so would be fantastic).

For those curious I do keep other critters. I currently have my dog Charlie. Shes a 3 year old medium terrier mix (25bls of crazy love). I have 2 cats, annie and siamon. As well as an axolotl named wooper, a 10g fish tank with a school of platys and 3 dwarf puffer fish, and I breed mealworms and keep superworm beetles.

As far as my first russian tortoise goes I do have s few questions. Currently my setup has a regular twisty household bulb. Should I swap it out for a different kind of bulb (a plant bulb maybe for the grass, lavender and marigolds in the cage?). My house temp never drops below 60f so do I need to provide a heat source, and if I should would a bulb or mat be better (plastic bottomed cage, wire top). Is the bowl currently in the cage suitable or is it to deep, if it's too deep would adding river stones be an ok way to make it shallower. Do i need to provide a protine source in a Russian tortoises diet, like mealworms or another insect. Lastly what are good food ideas that are relatively cheep that can be picked up from the grocery store that is nutritionally beneficial for a russian tortoise for over winter when I can't forrage for my little fella.

Thank you to everyone who reads this! I look forward to hearing from each of you!

Kind regards,
Holly

Holly.c.gamble

Today is my birthday!
Bellingham WA
Here are some photos of my cage setup. I couldn't figure out how to post them from my phone but I got it now XD

20180820_230610.jpg 20180820_230620.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Holly, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry to shoot you down, because you've made a very pretty little enclosure, however, it is really way too small for a Russian tortoise. Yes, Russian tortoises are small, however, they are also hard wired to wander great distances. Putting a russian tortoise into that little cage, he will dig at the corners, try climbing to get out and pace the perimeter constantly.

If it were me, I would try to find someone who sells the Iris Christmas Tree Storage bin. Sometimes Walmart sells them - or you can find them online. They're about 4' long, giving him much more room to walk around. An even larger tub is even better.

Holly.c.gamble

Today is my birthday!
Bellingham WA
Hi Holly, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry to shoot you down, because you've made a very pretty little enclosure, however, it is really way too small for a Russian tortoise. Yes, Russian tortoises are small, however, they are also hard wired to wander great distances. Putting a russian tortoise into that little cage, he will dig at the corners, try climbing to get out and pace the perimeter constantly.

If it were me, I would try to find someone who sells the Iris Christmas Tree Storage bin. Sometimes Walmart sells them - or you can find them online. They're about 4' long, giving him much more room to walk around. An even larger tub is even better.

The cage is about as big as I can do for now, and really is only for the next year or so. We are looking at buying a house and when we do I plan to build an indoor and outdoor enclosure both being rather large! This cage is 36 inches by 17 inches with 5 inches of dirt in the bottom. Really its more of a temporary setup and is not meant for long term. In addition to the small space the little guy or gal will have access (weather permitting) to this field for at least an hour a day to run as far as they please, the yard here at the apartment, as well as free run of most of my apartment (gotta block off under the couch and entertainment center but most of the rest is free game). The intention is to really make the little one a part of the family. While the outdoors wont be accessible during the winter we keep our apartment warm so the little guy can roam year round in it.

I genuinely hope this is an acceptable arrangement for a young Russian tortoise. Being new I'm not sure but it seems like it aught to be. Its the best we can do in our current living arrangements. Living in an apartment space is limited but my partner and I really want to welcome another little one into our family.

Attachments

• 20180821_080354.jpg
    20180821_080354.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 25

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum, lots of good info here..

1. Id agree thst you really have to try and make a larger enclosure. Your tort will drive you and itself crazy pacing to get out.
2. The big grass soccer field isnt a good choice for walkies for many reasons. You have no idea who or what was there before you...fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides...and more.
3. For good plants, you want to research using many sources, incuding The TortoiseTable. For example, here is what it says about Marigolds:

Do not Feed
  • Common Name: French Marigold (African Marigold, Marigold)
  • Latin Name: Tagetes spp.
  • Family Name: Asteraceae/ Compositae
Tagetes are said to secrete a substance that acts as an insecticide which is present in both roots, flowers and leaves so best avoided. Often mistaken for Marigold from the Calendula genus, which is fine for tortoises.

Hope this helps, lots to read and research. Happy Torting

Holly.c.gamble

Today is my birthday!
Bellingham WA
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum, lots of good info here..

1. Id agree thst you really have to try and make a larger enclosure. Your tort will drive you and itself crazy pacing to get out.
2. The big grass soccer field isnt a good choice for walkies for many reasons. You have no idea who or what was there before you...fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides...and more.
3. For good plants, you want to research using many sources, incuding The TortoiseTable. For example, here is what it says about Marigolds:

Do not Feed
  • Common Name: French Marigold (African Marigold, Marigold)
  • Latin Name: Tagetes spp.
  • Family Name: Asteraceae/ Compositae
Tagetes are said to secrete a substance that acts as an insecticide which is present in both roots, flowers and leaves so best avoided. Often mistaken for Marigold from the Calendula genus, which is fine for tortoises.

Hope this helps, lots to read and research. Happy Torting
I'll have to remove that pronto XD totally mistook it for the kind they can eat.

Denmark
Sounds awesome the fact that you also want Russian tortoises like me i hope you enjoy you know Russians are known to be small and active

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome! You came here for help and advice and you are getting the best regarding how to house your tortoise. Please be willing to change what you have set up and get the right thing! It will be worth it for your new addition, and he will love that the dog and cats cannot get to him in his nice big Christmas Tree Storage Bin from Walmart or Home Depot.

Holly.c.gamble

Today is my birthday!
Bellingham WA
Hello and welcome! You came here for help and advice and you are getting the best regarding how to house your tortoise. Please be willing to change what you have set up and get the right thing! It will be worth it for your new addition, and he will love that the dog and cats cannot get to him in his nice big Christmas Tree Storage Bin from Walmart or Home Depot.

:) As stated though we will be moving in about a year, and since im looking for a very young Russian tortoise I feel a smaller enclosure while its small wont really be an issue for about a year :) Its not a life long setup, only temporary while we are still living here. Heaven forbid we are here longer than a year I will rearrange our living space to make room for such a bin, or if the tortoise displays obvious signs of stress from the smaller home.

Im more concerned with the other questions i have posed that seemed to be getting glossed over. Do i need to provide a uvb bulb for a Russian tortoise in the indoor habitat? Should i provide a heat source for basking (some say yes, others say not needed, I just would like to know what would be best). Is my water bowl too deep (its about 1 1/2 inches deep at the deepest point and 1 inch at the sides) and if so would adding river stones make it suitable? Should i ever provide a protein source like meal worms or are they purely vegetarian (i know many veggie eaters benefit from the occasional insect snack)?

Im very well aware that this is a small enclosure. It is not going to be the adult enclosure. I am looking to get a baby. I knew this was small when I set it up. It will not be the final home for my tortoise. This is for the little guy while its still little.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Your water bowl looks fine, but most folks just use plain old terracotta saucers available at your local garden center or WalMart.

It doesnt look too deep. If you are at all concerned, just swap it out with a terracotta saucer, this way your Russian can get down inside. Adding stones kind of prevents torts from getting down inside and soaking (if they want).

Lots of info here on your questions - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Last edited:

Holly.c.gamble

Today is my birthday!
Bellingham WA
Greetings. Your water bowl looks fine, but most folks just use plain old terracotta saucers available at your local garden center or WalMart.

It doesnt look too deep. If you are at all concerned, just swap it out with a terracotta saucer, this way your Russian can get down inside. Adding stones kind of prevents torts from getting down inside and soaking (if they want).

Lots of info here on your questions - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Thank you :D

Kaeloni

Montana
:) As stated though we will be moving in about a year, and since im looking for a very young Russian tortoise I feel a smaller enclosure while its small wont really be an issue for about a year :) Its not a life long setup, only temporary while we are still living here. Heaven forbid we are here longer than a year I will rearrange our living space to make room for such a bin, or if the tortoise displays obvious signs of stress from the smaller home.

Im more concerned with the other questions i have posed that seemed to be getting glossed over. Do i need to provide a uvb bulb for a Russian tortoise in the indoor habitat? Should i provide a heat source for basking (some say yes, others say not needed, I just would like to know what would be best). Is my water bowl too deep (its about 1 1/2 inches deep at the deepest point and 1 inch at the sides) and if so would adding river stones make it suitable? Should i ever provide a protein source like meal worms or are they purely vegetarian (i know many veggie eaters benefit from the occasional insect snack)?

Im very well aware that this is a small enclosure. It is not going to be the adult enclosure. I am looking to get a baby. I knew this was small when I set it up. It will not be the final home for my tortoise. This is for the little guy while its still little.

Hello, most of your questions are answered in the care sheets.
Yes, you need heat and uva/uvb. I really like the powersun bulb because it provides everything in 1 bulb.
No, do not feed worms.
And if you’re getting a hatchling you will have to provide a humid hide among other things.
I strongly encourage you to read the care sheets before purchasing a hatchling. They are very sensitive and more needy than adults.
Good luck!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

There is a reason why tortoises, even hatchlings, should not be housed in small enclosures. Light fixtures, ceramic heat emitters, and reptile heat panels are used to heat enclosures. They require space to create different ranges of temperatures; these varying zones are necessary for tortoises because it allows them to regulate their temperatures. Small enclosures such as you one you have is not going to allow them to have this. They won't be able to escape high temperatures and may overheat/dehydrate themselves. This can result in other health complications as well as death. There are several lingering examples found in the forums if you search hard enough. Don't settle for anything less than a 4 L x 2 W feet enclosure. That would be the bare minimum for most small species of tortoise hatchlings.

Read the link provided by maro2bear. The information there will trump any outdated information you've received so far from your researching of tortoises.\

UVB lighting is required for people that do not regularly take their indoor tortoises out for sunshine. You'll probably need it if you're living in Washington.

Russian tortoises require basking. The basking spot should be around 95-105F. Tortoise hatchlings benefit from relatively high humidity levels. Russian hatchlings humidity levels should be around 50-70%. Russian tortoises do not require animal protein.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Please allow me to confirm that torts need a lot of space, as they are used to roaming around in the wild without "red lights" so as to say.