Hello from WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

greengnu

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I'm Liz from Wisconsin. I've been browsing this forum for awhile now and decided to join.

I am taking care of 2 male tortoises -long term--until their owners return to the states. They are 6-8 years old and were imported from Germany My best guess is that they are some sort of Greek hybrid. If you've got any ideas of what they are let me know. :tort:IPhonePics 987.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Liz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

Could you post a picture of each tort's plastron ( under shell) including the tail please?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. The substrate you have them on is about the worst. Learn all you can from this forum on how to better their life. Then when the new owners come back, teach it to them and ask them to join our forum also. Good luck, there is a lot to learn.

greengnu

5 Year Member
I will work on posting some pics of their undersides and overall better photos.

I hate the bedding too! When it disintegrates it makes a huge mess. It's hard to clean up and creates excessive dust. I recently switched to some sort of shredded coconut? It comes in a block form that you soak in water, squeeze out the excess, and spread around the enclosure. I also added slate tiles in an attempt to wear down their nails a bit. I don't think it's working.

I'm looking forward to learning how to better care for them.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Both are Hermann's tortoises. If you can post a photo of their plastrons (belly) we can tell if they are Westerns, Testudo hermanni hermanni or Easterns, Testudo hermanni boettgeri. Doubtful that their Dalmatians, Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. If I had to bet, just based on that one photo I'd say Westerns, but their coloration and contrast may be from being maintained under artificial lighting. A plastron photo will tell for sure.

greengnu

5 Year Member
I put the link to some photos of their undersides in this post.

Has the artificial light done any damage to the shell? Or is this just something that happens to tortoises in captivity? Maybe my lighting was bad in the photos?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, he just meant that sometimes a color of a tortoise's shell is different due to not ever having been in the sun. Once they get outside, it will change to a more normal coloration for that species.

Status
Not open for further replies.