Hello getting setup lighting questions

Rhols

Location (City and/or State)
Maine
Hello my name is Rhonda and I reside in Waterville, Maine. My family and I have discussed in length and researched bringing a tortoise into our household. I have researched for well over a year and have decided that a Hermann' s tortoise seems to be the right choice. I want to be all set up before I bring the tortoise home. I have ordered the tortoise table and the measurements are 12x36x24 and want to make sure I get the right size UVB and heat lighting. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Rhols

Maine
Thanks it's not an adult it is just to get us by to build a proper outdoor and Indoor enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello my name is Rhonda and I reside in Waterville, Maine. My family and I have discussed in length and researched bringing a tortoise into our household. I have researched for well over a year and have decided that a Hermann' s tortoise seems to be the right choice. I want to be all set up before I bring the tortoise home. I have ordered the tortoise table and the measurements are 12x36x24 and want to make sure I get the right size UVB and heat lighting. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Hello and welcome.

If you are buying the ZooMed house, be aware that they are not well designed and don't work well for hermanni or any other tortoise. You need deep damp substrate, but damp substrate will leak and rot the wood in those boxes. It is also very difficult to maintain the needed moderate humidity for a young growing hermanni in one of those open topped shallow enclosures. You money would be better spent on a large tub or tank, or on materials to build your own enclosure.

Also be aware that most of the info on tortoise care that you find from the usual sources is old, out-dated and wrong. Its great that you did research, but unfortunately the info available through the usual channels is not good info. Most people recommend substrates that are unsafe or too dry, they don't soak babies often enough, they recommend the wrong heating and lighting products, and making an enclosure in the way they recommend will make for unnaturally low humidity and desiccating conditions which are very bad for a baby tortoise.

I hope we can help ensure that you and your new tortoise have a positive experience!

Rhols

Maine
Hello and welcome.

If you are buying the ZooMed house, be aware that they are not well designed and don't work well for hermanni or any other tortoise. You need deep damp substrate, but damp substrate will leak and rot the wood in those boxes. It is also very difficult to maintain the needed moderate humidity for a young growing hermanni in one of those open topped shallow enclosures. You money would be better spent on a large tub or tank, or on materials to build your own enclosure.

Also be aware that most of the info on tortoise care that you find from the usual sources is old, out-dated and wrong. Its great that you did research, but unfortunately the info available through the usual channels is not good info. Most people recommend substrates that are unsafe or too dry, they don't soak babies often enough, they recommend the wrong heating and lighting products, and making an enclosure in the way they recommend will make for unnaturally low humidity and desiccating conditions which are very bad for a baby tortoise.

I hope we can help ensure that you and your new tortoise have a positive experience!

Rhols

Maine
That's not great news I ordered it already I suppose I could return it but I was only using it temporarily maybe a month or so until I could build proper indoor and outdoor enclosures. Would it be okay for that long or do think I should return it

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That's not great news I ordered it already I suppose I could return it but I was only using it temporarily maybe a month or so until I could build proper indoor and outdoor enclosures. Would it be okay for that long or do think I should return it

If it were me, I would try and get my money back to spend it on a 40+ gallon tub, and just use that. But I suppose it COULD work for a very short time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would return it. You can get something larger and much more suitable for about $15-20 at the hardware store.

Rhols

Maine
Do you cover your tubs because I am wondering what I could use I have a one year Siberian Husky who is very curious all husky. Who would not be in the room often but may make it in there. Just want to ensure the safety of the tortoise.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, people cover the tubs to keep humidity in. You will need to make yours quite secure; a tortoise is just a chew toy to your dog. I’ll let an enclosure builder help with that, I’ve never had an indoor enclosure.

Karenxx67

London
How old is the tortoise when the humidty doesnt need to be so high.
My daughter has a greek spur thigh.
Hes growing super fast and next year will prob need to move outside so were putting our thinking caps on re enclosures.

Rhols

Maine
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, people cover the tubs to keep humidity in. You will need to make yours quite secure; a tortoise is just a chew toy to your dog. I’ll let an enclosure builder help with that, I’ve never had an indoor enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to use the fluorescent UVB bulb for UBV, then a black light or Ceramic Heat Emitter for heat (CHE).

I use two of these, one at either end, and I remove the hook:

Then I cut a piece of PVC to fit the length of the enclosure and attach it to the light stands.

Hang the Fluorescent UVB fixture from the PVC:

arcadia-t8-reflectors.jpg

715e6M7NNZL._SX355_.jpg

If your house is cold, you can leave the CHE on 24/7