Hello I am new here too

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlefever

5 Year Member
Hello,
I am thinking about getting a box turtle, for me. My son (age 6), who is still too young to have one of his own, has mentioned that he would like to do a 4H project with one. I have a three year old daughter so I am not sure how I will keep her away from them... I am thinking about a 3 toed box turtle pair (male and female, because they get along pretty good) but I really don't want to breed baby turtles -- not until my kids are both a lot older. I live in north central Idaho and it is still pretty cold up here. I would like to prepare an outdoor enclosure now and would like advice on that. I also intend on getting a 36 X18 X 12 indoor terrarium to keep them during the cold seasons and I would like advice on that too. I don't know how important hibernation is so any help with that would be great. ;)
Thanks,
Turtle Fever

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Uuuggg trying this again, as the long reply I had just vanished. :(

hi and welcome! First off, are YOU wanting these turtles, because in all reality they will be your pets. Second, since your not wanting to breed, I would suggest starting with just one animal and see how it goes. Your indoor cage size idea is too small. There is another possible option and that is during winter allow the turtle to brumate/hibernate. This could be done outside in his enclosure, if it is suitable. OR you could do it inside under more controlled situation. Of course, you really don't want to try this his first year with you. As to if you HAVE to hibernate/brumate, so far the answer seems to be no. Also be sure to first check laws in your area to see if owning one is allowed.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Box turtles don't do the Best in pairs, males can big females pretty bad. If you get babies it will take a few year for them to grow. Eventually they will need to be outdoors year round, box turtles don't do we'll indoors at all. Mine have been indoors and they would much rather be about doors which soon they will be. As far as your kids playing with what ever species you get, just build a enclosure with a lid, and teach them they aren't animals to "play with" they kind of are like fish viewing animals. They can stress when handled a lot and they really just like being left a lone. You should also look into ch Russian tortoises, Herman's. they too stay small, and have great personalities as well. Either way you go tho. You will eventually need a outdoor enclosure and your indoor enclosure I'm not sure if your speaking inches or cm, or feet. If its inches that's only 3 feet your going to want to go bigger, 20 feet by 20 feet or bigger If you can. Haha I say this because you should really go as big as you can. Like 8x4 foot tables I found to work good for indoor, or 6x3 foot. But bigger is better

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi turtlefever, and welcome to the Forum!

turtlefever

5 Year Member
I have had a three toed box turtle for years and I loved him very much. I kind of grew up with him. I was able to figure a way to keep him through college but eventually had to find him a new home when I was in grad school because my life was too chaotic. He was very fun. I remember one time I snuck him on an airplane, I had him in my hat and since he wasn't metal it didn't alert anything. I got bumped up to first class, you should have seen the guy sitting next to me, who actually purchased a ticket for first class, when the turtle's head started to poke up out of the hat -- even now I start to laugh. So yes, I am aware of what turtle ownership is about and I am wanting the turtle too. I am concerned that there will be periods where it will be too cold for them in the winter. I assume that they are legal in Idaho because I can also buy them at pet shops (who check with the Department of Fish and Game before every order) and I will probably get the turtle from that pet store.

Status
Not open for further replies.