Hello I live on the big island of Hawaii

noahbb

Location (City and/or State)
Pahoa Hawaii
I just moved to Hawaii 6 months ago. I’m from California where I had several tortoises. I would like to get a tortoise here. I heard a redfoot or yellowfoot is best for my area. It rains a lot here. The tortoise won’t always be outside. I would just like to know how to get one here, if anyone has information.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I hope you get some help soon! Welcome and good luck!

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
Are there any pet stores on the big island? I also know some breeders will send them in the mail but not sure how long it would take to get there.

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
@noahbb I remember reading not too long ago there is a park on the big island where they are using tortoises to get rid of the invasive vegetation. If i can remember the name of the park or people I'll post it. Might be able to google too. They would probably be good to get in contact with.

Kent
Russians probably wouldn't be a good idea because they need a lot of room when adult, does it rain a lot all year round ?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Russians probably wouldn't be a good idea because they need a lot of room when adult, does it rain a lot all year round ?
A lot of tortoises, or all of them, need a lot of room either young or adult, depending on their size in relation to the size of their enclosure. I don't think one particular species of tortoise needs more room than another!:)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
@noahbb I remember reading not too long ago there is a park on the big island where they are using tortoises to get rid of the invasive vegetation. If i can remember the name of the park or people I'll post it. Might be able to google too. They would probably be good to get in contact with.
That is interesting, first I heard of that! Will check it out.

Kent
A lot of tortoises, or all of them, need a lot of room either young or adult, depending on their size in relation to the size of their enclosure. I don't think one particular species of tortoise needs more room than another!:)
sorry i meant more room in comparison to their size as they are quite a small species