Hello! I'm a new member and I'd like some help with my new friend Issac.

Pyro

You can find cactus pads at any hispanic/Mexican grocery store if you have one close by. They are in the vegetable section, labeled "nopales." You'll only need one small pad at a time for a Russian. Don't even feed that much as once, as it can cause diarrhea. Alternatively, you can order a BUNCH of them from Amazon; which you might do if you would like to plant some and grow your own.

Here are a couple of good links for foods for sulcata tortoises. Sulcata tortoises are different from Russians in that they eat grass as well as weeds. I think these lists are some of the easiest and fastest to read on our forum, which is why I link to them even for Russians. Just cross out any food that has the word "grass" in it and you are good to go. There are some grocery store foods in here to get you started while you are learning and looking for other kinds of food.

No matter what, remember variety is key. You don't have to feed all these foods in a month (or even a year) but switch things up around as much as you can.

Link one: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/

Link two: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
He doesn't seem to like the kale, but isn
Hi and welcome.
Pet stores are only interested in profit, but you'll get great help and advice here as you have already seen.
I've read that Russians are great escape artists and often dig or climb their way out of their enclosures so make sure your boundaries are tort proof!
Thanks.
Hi and welcome.
Pet stores are only interested in profit, but you'll get great help and advice here as you have already seen.
I've read that Russians are great escape artists and often dig or climb their way out of their enclosures so make sure your boundaries are tort proof!
Yeah that's true. I wish they cared more. Would make things easier for the animal and the buyer.

Pyro

Having foods that are edible and persuading your tort to eat them are two different things.

Torts are very stubborn, know what they like and like what they know.

It takes time and patience to introduce new foods.
Yeah I understand that. Thanks for the advice. I got too caught up in trying to get more different foods for him, but I didn't really think that he may not know what the new food is or that he may not be used to it yet.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. Isaac is a very nice looking tortoises. He has very pretty coloring. Russian tortoises are great tortoises. They are full of personality.

Pyro

Welcome to the Forum. Isaac is a very nice looking tortoises. He has very pretty coloring. Russian tortoises are great tortoises. They are full of personality.
Thank you so much. I'm happy to see that everyone things he looks nice. I'm happy that he looks healthy.