hello im totaly new

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperforce

5 Year Member
hi im viperforce aka karl
and my tortoise is called toetoe
im a retierd rspca worker who worked with reptiles manily snakes and lizzards but am looking for all kind of advice on caring for toetoe as he is part of the familey now

im new to looking after tortoises as i have just taken this one in and am looking for advice on every thing about it as i know nothing much about them apart from what i could find on the web so all the help i can get is most helpfull i have had other types of reptiles before but its a first time for the tortoise i dont even know what type it is im also hoping i got the housing right to as i built it my self

Attachments

• 1365327251286.jpg
    1365327251286.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 1365327265059.jpg
    1365327265059.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 30

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Karl, and welcome to the Forum!

Your little tortoise is a captive bred Russian tortoise (Testudo horsfieldii), who didn't receive the best of care while he was growing up. Notice how bumpy his carapace is. It is supposed to be smooth. The bumpiness is due to the tortoise not getting enough UVB from the sun (or an expensive light) and the correct food. In the case of Testudos, moisture plays a SMALL part in the bumpiness too.

Your tort table is ok for now, but a full grown Russian tortoise requires a much bigger space so he can do lots of walking and get lots of exercise.

We have a nice care sheet in the Tortoise Library

viperforce

5 Year Member
thanks for the help im loving the library im finding it most help full it has given me some great ideas for a new table now i know a little more about toetoe so once again a huge thankyou :) frome us both when i get done ile put up a new pic of the table

Status
Not open for further replies.