Hello :) Is my Jamie Horsfield or Hermanns?

Spammy

Location (City and/or State)
Blackpool, UK
Hi :) , I'm Samantha, I live in Blackpool in the UK about 4 years ago I took in a Tortoise called Jamie and was told he was a Horsfield he is about 10ish now. About a month ago I took him to a vet because I was worried he had she'll rot developing on his plastron and his back nails weren't growing straight. She trimmed his nails and said his plastron just had normal wear and tear but she also thought he was a hermanns? But he only has 4 toes which I thought was a horsfield trait ? Could anyone confirm which species he is? Thank you :)

Attachments

• 1466935846574.jpg
    1466935846574.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 1466935886551.jpg
    1466935886551.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 44
  • 1466935899088.jpg
    1466935899088.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 1466935911694.jpg
    1466935911694.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 44

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Sam: Welcome to the forum. Jamie is a hermann (Testudo hermanni boettgeri) for sure.

Spammy

Blackpool, UK
Thank you for the quick reply, I will check the link you posted and see if I need to make changes in the way I look after him :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Spammy

Blackpool, UK
He is suffering from metabolic bone disease. This is caused by some combination of the wrong diet, not enough calcium, or not enough UVB.

Please read that care sheet and make the right adjustments. Here are two more:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Your tortoise in not a horsfield (Russian), but care is the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Hello Tom, I know he has piramiding,he came to me like this his previous owners had him in a vivarium with a normal bulb and they fed him iceberg lettuce,tomotoes,carrots and ham! And told me to put oil on his shell...I didn't as I researched what he needed...they also told me he was a Horsfield, I don't think his pyrimiding has worsened since he came into my care but I will check the links out to make sure I'm looking after for him right, Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Tom, I know he has piramiding,he came to me like this his previous owners had him in a vivarium with a normal bulb and they fed him iceberg lettuce,tomotoes,carrots and ham! And told me to put oil on his shell...I didn't as I researched what he needed...they also told me he was a Horsfield, I don't think his pyrimiding has worsened since he came into my care but I will check the links out to make sure I'm looking after for him right, Thank you.

The pyramiding isn't bad. The way the vertebral scutes are small and bunched together like that is an indicator of MBD. He needs calcium, UV and good diet ASAP. I'm sure you are fixing all of that, I just wanted to make sure you knew what was going on.