Hello :) Is my Jamie Horsfield or Hermanns?

Spammy

Location (City and/or State)
Blackpool, UK
Until you can get your lighting and diet all dialed in, are you able to place him outside for some actual sunlight?
Maybe you can stop the MBD.
Hi, when I took Jamie in I did research what he needed and tried to amend this..I buy mercury vapour bulbs and tried changing his diet but he is a stubborn eater and loves the tortoise pellet food they gave him..I keep trying to get him to eat better foods! I can't let him outside as I live in a Flat but we are going to be moving to a house with a large garden so I will be making an outdoor enclosure for him and hopefully he will be more inclined to eat plants,weeds etc if he can forage for them himself.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome - and don't make a post just to thank me...just click on the "like" button! I will feel thanked.

This site is awesome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To wean a picky eater onto better food:

Moisten the pellets until they fall apart. Chop up some good greens into tiny pieces and stir it into the pellets until all the greens are covered. Feed him this way for a week, then the following week, add more greens and less pellets. Over time you decrease the pellets and increase the greens until you are finally able to feed him greens only. Don't be in a hurry. This takes a lot of time, maybe even a year.

Another thing I've found to encourage a tortoise to eat is cucumber. I grate a cucumber then add the chopped greens and stir until all the greens are covered with the cucumber scent.