Hello members

TurtlTom

5 Year Member
My name is Tom. I live in Southern California and was an active member in the California Turtle and Tortoise club since the early 1980s. I stopped attending regular meetings about ten years ago but do stop in about once a year to see old friends. I started out with California desert tortoises and evolved into a Sulcata owner and breeder.
Around 1996 I went to Florida and bought three full grown wild caught Sulcata tortoises. I produced allot of babies for about four years and handed out care sheets with each one. ThenI realized that there were going to be way to many Sulcatas and not enough homes for them. I stopped breeding them and now have one female Sulcata and a pair of leopard tortoises S. p. babcocki. & babies. I am currently searching for another older female leopard tortoise.

Meand3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Tom!

I'm so glad you came to the "feral cat/sulcata" realization. There are an awful lot of really cute baby sulcatas getting out into the pet trade, then later, an awful lot of bigger, more destructive sulcatas turning up in the turtle rescues!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Tom, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
i'm sure someone here can help you find a suitable leopard.
Good luck!!

TurtlTom

5 Year Member
Welcome to the Forum, Tom!

I'm so glad you came to the "feral cat/sulcata" realization. There are an awful lot of really cute baby sulcatas getting out into the pet trade, then later, an awful lot of bigger, more destructive sulcatas turning up in the turtle rescues!!

I could see the Sulcata was going to overpopulate in the late 90's. My favorite old female (Bertha) was laying about 125 eggs a year.
Hatchlings that I had raised were maturing in as little as 4.5 years. The CTTC, turtle club adoption members were already getting them turned in. It was a no brainer to decide to stop breeding. Today it is irresponsibility by the people that can't resist breeding them to make a quick $ 50.00 - 75.00. They really don't care about the tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Tom. Welcome to the forum and good to have you here.

I happen to be travel to China quite often and also joined some tortoise forum there, the situation over there are even worse. majority of the people are lives in the apartment of high-rise building, but many people have multiple baby sulcata live in a 20 gallon size wooden or plastic box or container. No sunlight, no place to walk around and bullying. mix species also common. I post some thread in their forum to discouraging or think twice before another sulcata become trapped.