Hello my name is charlotte

char&sheldon

Location (City and/or State)
FOUNTAIN HILLS
Hello fellow tortoise lovers!

My name is charlotte, I live in the Phoenix area, I am happily divorced with a blind and deaf shih tzu. I very sadly lost my 25 year old Sonoran tortoise Sheldon recently and have since rescued two sulcatas, Bowser and Clover.

I am new to looking after Sulcatas, they are indoor until it’s cooler to assemble their cage that will sit in their outdoor enclosure. A bob cat turned Sheldon over and sadly he couldn’t flip himself over and died in the sun. I am not taking any chances with these guys, they are indoor now as they are only two years old and I think birds of prey would have no trouble picking them up. We have safe supervised playtime in the sun daily.

I am still grieving for Sheldon , I miss him every single day, but the two new guys are helping me through. I love love being a tortoise caretaker, it has been such an awesome rewarding experience so far and I’m sure will only get better!

I am blown away with the knowledge and experience on this forum! I have been lurking for several weeks now, the information I have found on here has been invaluable! Nice to meet you all! Cheers!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, so sorry for your loss.

This is the caresheet you need for the sullies

It's great that you have taken in rescued torts but did you know that they shouldn't be kept in pairs?
Torts are solitary, territorial creatures that don't like company or competition. They will be very stressed together. One will become dominant and could cause serious injury to the other or even death. Early signs to look out for are staring, following, nudging and mounting (often mistaken for affection) and hogging the food and basking spots etc. It can get worse with barging and biting so best to keep them both happy and healthy in their own separate spaces.

char&sheldon

FOUNTAIN HILLS
Hi and welcome, so sorry for your loss.

This is the caresheet you need for the sullies

It's great that you have taken in rescued torts but did you know that they shouldn't be kept in pairs?
Torts are solitary, territorial creatures that don't like company or competition. They will be very stressed together. One will become dominant and could cause serious injury to the other or even death. Early signs to look out for are staring, following, nudging and mounting (often mistaken for affection) and hogging the food and basking spots etc. It can get worse with barging and biting so best to keep them both happy and healthy in their own separate spaces.
Thanks so much for your response . Yes, I did know that, I have been reading so much on this forum! My vet also keeps a sulcata, I have an elderly dog that needs to be seen every other day so we talk tortoises a lot. I have only had them for three weeks, they came to me as a pair. I haven’t seen any aggression but that doesn’t mean anything at all. bowser is smaller than clover, and as I have read here in the forum- there is a reason for it- something is going one, aggression, dominance.
I will rehome one in next couple weeks, my brother is few doors down and has plenty of room, and I will still be able to visit ? I just don’t know how to decide which one I will keep! While I am waiting for him to prepare a home, I have given them seperate food spaces (plant pot bottoms) separate spas (water) and separate basking lamps. They sleep very close together, but as I’ve read, likely means one is telling the other to leave. I think my Sonoran Sheldon would have hated to have company, I can see how independent and solitary they are. Thank you so much for responding ! Please excuse typos, responding on my phone

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thanks so much for your response . Yes, I did know that, I have been reading so much on this forum! My vet also keeps a sulcata, I have an elderly dog that needs to be seen every other day so we talk tortoises a lot. I have only had them for three weeks, they came to me as a pair. I haven’t seen any aggression but that doesn’t mean anything at all. bowser is smaller than clover, and as I have read here in the forum- there is a reason for it- something is going one, aggression, dominance.
I will rehome one in next couple weeks, my brother is few doors down and has plenty of room, and I will still be able to visit ? I just don’t know how to decide which one I will keep! While I am waiting for him to prepare a home, I have given them seperate food spaces (plant pot bottoms) separate spas (water) and separate basking lamps. They sleep very close together, but as I’ve read, likely means one is telling the other to leave. I think my Sonoran Sheldon would have hated to have company, I can see how independent and solitary they are. Thank you so much for responding ! Please excuse typos, responding on my phone
Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about Sonoran Sheldon. I still miss my cat Jasper who was very, very special & smart, & it's been 12 yrs. But you find new ones & new friends, & here we are. So welcome.

TortyJay

England
Hello fellow tortoise lovers!

My name is charlotte, I live in the Phoenix area, I am happily divorced with a blind and deaf shih tzu. I very sadly lost my 25 year old Sonoran tortoise Sheldon recently and have since rescued two sulcatas, Bowser and Clover.

I am new to looking after Sulcatas, they are indoor until it’s cooler to assemble their cage that will sit in their outdoor enclosure. A bob cat turned Sheldon over and sadly he couldn’t flip himself over and died in the sun. I am not taking any chances with these guys, they are indoor now as they are only two years old and I think birds of prey would have no trouble picking them up. We have safe supervised playtime in the sun daily.

I am still grieving for Sheldon , I miss him every single day, but the two new guys are helping me through. I love love being a tortoise caretaker, it has been such an awesome rewarding experience so far and I’m sure will only get better!

I am blown away with the knowledge and experience on this forum! I have been lurking for several weeks now, the information I have found on here has been invaluable! Nice to meet you all! Cheers!
Welcome to the forums sorry for your loss! It’s only right you worry about securing them indoors until you feel it’s ready for them.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hope everything is going well with your new friends. I have Ring cameras on my property. On the neighborhood watch alerts. There have been numerous spotting of bobcats. There is a lot of new home construction going on in my area. I think it is time for me to put a electric wire on the perimeter of my yard.