Hello! New here :)

stars6116

Location (City and/or State)
JP
Hello everyone. We have 2 greek tortoises named Morla and Pancake.

We got our first one (Morla) in June 2019 and she was about 2 months old when we got her. She's the sweetest — so calm and just chill. She's used to being handled too.

We then decided to get another one when we saw a 1 year old greek tortoise at the pet store. Apparently, nobody wanted her because her shell is a little bit deformed. We named her Pancake because her shell is a little bit flat, unlike Morla's. Anyway, we've had her for almost a month now and she is quite a character. She loves to climb, almost gave me a heart attack when I found her in the balcony! I still don't know how she did it but now I have to make sure the door/windows are closed. She doesn't like being handled very much but would beg to be taken out of their enclosure everytime she sees me.

They do live together in their little house, they each have their little cave but most of the time sleep together in one. For the most part I think they do get along but I have a few questions on Morla's behavior.

1.) Morla would "bite" Pancake's face but it's the most gentle bite ever, almost looks like they're playing because Pancake doesn't even try to get away from her. lol

2.) Morla would endlessly chase Pancake just to smell her butt.

3.) Today, I just witnessed Morla chase Pancake around and headbutt her a few times

4.) Sometimes I catch Morla aggressively biting Pancake's leg (usually when Pancake eats with her)

5.) I see them face to face a lot as if they're kissing, or maybe just smelling each other's mouth.

stars6116

JP
Trying to figure out how to post a photo here, please bear with me.

Here is a photo of my babies, Morla (left) and Pancake (right)

Reactions: Ink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

It's really not a good idea to have two tortoises in the same enclosure. You are already seeing signs of aggression, and it will only get worse. Eventually you may end up with a big vet bill because one of them has been injured by the other. I've seen bloody faces, eyelids bitten off, scales pulled off the legs and bleeding. . . the list goes on. Tortoises are territorial and they don't want other tortoises in their territory. They neither want nor need a friend. They are perfectly fine living alone.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
What Yvonne said, they are being aggressive already, not kissing.

stars6116

JP
Aww :confused: And I actually thought they're doing just fine.

Anyway, thank you for the inputs, we will look at getting another viv.