Hello! New here

Isaiah C.

Location (City and/or State)
Sapulpa
My name's Isaiah and I'm from Oklahoma. I've been a long-time fan of tortoises but was always hesitant to take the jump as I wanted to make sure I could provide for one. I've lurked here for several years (though only made an account last year), researching and making sure I knew what I was getting into it.

Recently I was somewhat thrown into finally making the leap. A friend of mine (who I knew to be irresponsible) bought a leopard tortoise a few months ago. They weren't sure on the exact age of it, so I don't know it either, but supposedly their vet estimated it to be around 9 months old now. Said friend is somewhat fickle and once the newness faded they were less interested, so seeing that the tortoise was not being properly cared for, I offered to take over care of the tortoise if they wanted.

They agreed, so I'm in the process of purchasing everything and setting up a proper closed-chamber enclosure. I've already made a separate post about that and Tom has been a great help! I just wanted to introduce myself and my soon to be leopard tortoise, Appa.

Appa.jpg

Appa2.jpg

What do you guys think? He wasn't raised in the proper set-up or given amazing care. I'm hoping I can get everything on track. Does anything stand out as immediately wrong?

As an aside, thank you to all who have contributed to this site. It is so educational and gave me a ton of reassurance compared to the typical "care for your pet tortoise" articles I found online.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and welcome.
So glad you stepped in to help this little one. S/he is adorable and doesnt look bad. Some pyramiding but if you get the closed chamber set up asap, that should stay to a minimum.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
My name's Isaiah and I'm from Oklahoma. I've been a long-time fan of tortoises but was always hesitant to take the jump as I wanted to make sure I could provide for one. I've lurked here for several years (though only made an account last year), researching and making sure I knew what I was getting into it.

Recently I was somewhat thrown into finally making the leap. A friend of mine (who I knew to be irresponsible) bought a leopard tortoise a few months ago. They weren't sure on the exact age of it, so I don't know it either, but supposedly their vet estimated it to be around 9 months old now. Said friend is somewhat fickle and once the newness faded they were less interested, so seeing that the tortoise was not being properly cared for, I offered to take over care of the tortoise if they wanted.

They agreed, so I'm in the process of purchasing everything and setting up a proper closed-chamber enclosure. I've already made a separate post about that and Tom has been a great help! I just wanted to introduce myself and my soon to be leopard tortoise, Appa.

View attachment 332527

View attachment 332529

What do you guys think? He wasn't raised in the proper set-up or given amazing care. I'm hoping I can get everything on track. Does anything stand out as immediately wrong?

As an aside, thank you to all who have contributed to this site. It is so educational and gave me a ton of reassurance compared to the typical "care for your pet tortoise" articles I found online.9
How's he walking? His back legs look a lititle scrawny & posture in the photo looks awkward to me. How's he feel to you? Does he seem solid/heavy or light or soft shelled? Just one photo doesn't tell us a lot. Do you know if he's gotten proper sunlight or UV? What about his diet?

Your impressions are important since you know the situation you're rescuing him from. More photos from other angles & his plastron would be useful.

Isaiah C.

Sapulpa
Hello and welcome.
So glad you stepped in to help this little one. S/he is adorable and doesnt look bad. Some pyramiding but if you get the closed chamber set up asap, that should stay to a minimum.
Hi! I'm hoping that's the case. I've already contacted Mark (who Tom recommended) and I'll be paying for the enclosure on Monday. 48x36 closed chamber. He's expecting it'll be a 4 to 5 week construction time for it. In the mean time gonna try my best to improvise to improve the living space.
How's he walking? His back legs look a lititle scrawny & posture in the photo looks awkward to me. How's he feel to you? Does he seem solid/heavy or light or soft shelled? Just one photo doesn't tell us a lot. Do you know if he's gotten proper sunlight or UV? What about his diet?

Your impressions are important since you know the situation you're rescuing him from. More photos from other angles & his plastron would be useful.
He walks well! He's actually very quick and active. Shell is solid on top and bottom. No natural sunlight up until this point, but was provided 12 hours of UVB from a T5 10% ZooMed light (the long bar ones). His diet and the lack of regular soaks are the biggest concern I have. From what I know he was mainly given store bought greens and soaked Mazuri with calcium once a week, and soaked only a few times a week.

They were raised in one of the "tortoise table" enclosures you can buy off Amazon. They gave me this with Appa when they let me take him over, so I went ahead and covered the top with plastic roll from Home Depot and put in a CHE. Temperatures are staying around 80 on the cool side, 90 on the warm, basking spot is 96.

I will take more pictures in the morning when I'm soaking him and post them here. Thanks for the input you guys! I'm hoping things go well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Isaiah! The tortoise doesn't look bad at all. He's got a pretty nice growth ring going for him around the lower part of his carapace.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for putting in the effort for this little guy. You've definitely found the right resources here - glad to see that you've already been put in contact with the right people :)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum! Cute leopard.

Isaiah C.

Sapulpa
Nice to meet you all! I'm glad that Appa seems to be in okay health as long as I fix the enclosure. I took some pictures from his daily soak today like I said I would!

Photo dump incoming (sorry for the one he's pooping wanted a picture of his legs):
Appa3.PNGAppa4.PNGAppa5.PNGAppa1.PNGAppa 2.png