Hello new Hermanns keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tort5680

5 Year Member
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum, I currently have three Hermann's Tortoises, 2 Females and 1 male with the intention of hopefully breeding them this year. At the moment I'm redesigning there outside enclosures to enhance there surroundings. Does anyone have any good ideas what to put in a greenhouse lean too? i.e. what plants and sub soil to use?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I keep and breed Eastern & Dalmatian Hermann's outdoors and also use mini greenhouses. Depending upon the size of the greenhouse, I wouldn't clutter it up too much with plants. I've found that all of mine like to bask in the greenhouse in the early mornings and on overcast days when it's cooler outside. The females almost always consistently nest in the greenhouses. More plants take up ground space and cut down on light exposure. But again, it depends upon how big of a greenhouse you're planning on. Mine are approximately 30" x 66" with an attached 30" x 30" shelter.

Torthouse-1.jpg

Torthouse-2.jpg

Tort5680

5 Year Member
Many thanks, my Torts currently live outside in a 15ft x4ft enclosure. I'm adding the lean to greenhouse to enhance the living area and give them more access to natural heat.

Tort5680

5 Year Member
Cheers GBTORTOISES makes sense to use it as a basking area. They Live in a 15ft x4ft enclosure the greenhouse lean too will enhance there area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tort5680, wishing you the best of luck with the breeding! Hope you get lots of babies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Tort5680 said:
Cheers GBTORTOISES makes sense to use it as a basking area. They Live in a 15ft x4ft enclosure the greenhouse lean too will enhance there area.
I just began building the mini greenhouses about two years ago. For many, many years my tortoises didn't have anything like them. I immediately noticed a difference in their behavior when using the greenhouses in terms of activity levels and nesting. I am currently using the mini greenhouses in one of my Eastern Hermann's as well as my Marginated and Ibera enclosures. They have all benefited positively from them. I don't know what took me so long to think of something that simple!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tort5680:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

Tort5680

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Tort5680:

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.
Many thanks for all your kind words, looking forward gaining more knowledge from you'es all. I would like to be called Jock, no prizes for guessing where I come from.

Tort5680

5 Year Member
image-64919637.png

My three Hermanns Patty, Selma and Seymour.

Attachments

• image-3165755956.png
    image-3165755956.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Tort5680

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
I just began building the mini greenhouses about two years ago. For many, many years my tortoises didn't have anything like them. I immediately noticed a difference in their behavior when using the greenhouses in terms of activity levels and nesting. I am currently using the mini greenhouses in one of my Eastern Hermann's as well as my Marginated and Ibera enclosures. They have all benefited positively from them. I don't know what took me so long to think of something that simple!

I'm hope the same happens to our Torts, will let you know what happens when I get it built.

Tort5680

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Tort5680:

Sorry I forgot to say I live in Norfolk.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jock:

I guessed the UK!!! Did I win the prize?

Tort5680

5 Year Member
Hi Emys,

Unfortunately no prize where are you from? What Torts do you have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have 15 different kinds of turtles and tortoises and I live in the Central part of California.

Tort5680

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I have 15 different kinds of turtles and tortoises and I live in the Central part of California.

15 different types wow I wish I had the real estate for that many. I have three Testudo hermanni. If I had the room I would like a Giant African tortoise.

I'm have problems trying to upload photos onto this forum any tips?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of us use a free photo program. I use photobucket.com but a lot use tinypic.com. Its fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.