Hello, new member here meet tippy toe

Tattooedsoul4u

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
This is a bio active setup!!!
I have over 20 years experience with reptiles and building bio active setups.

Toes loves to explore her little world. It keeps her busy!!!

Please keep your options about bio active setups to yourself. Not here to debate!!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hmmm... doesn’t sound like you want to be part of a group that likes to help each other out if we need to keep our “options” to ourself??? Despite that, Welcome to the TFO. Hope you find out posts informative, helpful, or just plain entertaining..

Torta-geddon

Pueblo, Co
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your enclosure looks very nice. I would like to ask how you plan to keep the humidity at the level required for proper shell growth in an open enclosure? And also how you are keeping the night temperature at the proper level? People on this forum aren't here to debate with you so much as try to help you to do what is best for the health and well being of your tortoise. Everyone here is trying to help everyone else here because we all care about tortoises and want what is best for them. I hope you take advantage of all the useful information contained on this forum regarding your tortoise. As you know since you have worked with reptiles for years different species often require different care and diet than others. Your tortoise is adorable

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hm-m-m-m. . . I had an 'opinion', option?, that the enclosure is very nice, and quite pretty, but I guess I'll have to keep that to my self.

I wanted to say that keeping tortoises isn't the same as keeping other reptiles. Helping a tortoise's shell to grow smoothly and not pyramided has nothing to do with how one has kept lizards or snakes, as those reptiles don't have shells. We have found, here on the Forum, that tortoises grow better when kept in a warm, humid environment. In order to keep the cold air from the house (and yes, 78F is 'cold') out of the enclosure and keep the warm, moist air in, it is quite helpful to cover the enclosure.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome! Toes is a little cutie. A bio active set up sounds interesting. I would like to learn more. With the large area that Toes will require. Is it possible to have a large bio active set up for a full grown sulcata?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I read up on bioactive terrariums. Now that I am more informed. My concerns would be about Opo eating to many beetles or worms because of the proteins. I guess Opo would find those in my backyard. I see a bioactive terrarium is like bringing your backyard inside.
Dont take my concerns as debating because I surely don't want to do that.
I hope you share how it works out for Toes.

Chasen

Galveston
Have you encountered a lot of resistance in the past about your bio active setup? I'm not sure why you've come on this forum and your 1st post is defensive. I see a few things that the experienced folks on here would suggest you to improve, but because of the way you've approached things, it's quite possible you won't get that direction.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Have you encountered a lot of resistance in the past about your bio active setup? I'm not sure why you've come on this forum and your 1st post is defensive. I see a few things that the experienced folks on here would suggest you to improve, but because of the way you've approached things, it's quite possible you won't get that direction.
I looked at past threads here on TFO and it sounded civil and informative.
I am with you why so defensive?