Hello! New Sulcata mom

MrsBarefoot

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
So I am not exactly sure where to post my questions. So I will put it here.

Question 1:
Do tortoise have a sense of smell? Sounds like a silly question, but I am asking for a reason.
When I dust Rainbows food, she doesn't seem to care in eating much (if any) of it.
I do keep one of those turtle bones in her home and I have seen her nip at it some times. Any advice in how I can be sure she's getting her vitamins in?

Question 2:
I made a humid box for her, but she doesn't really go in. Being that she's so young still, I do worry. (Like I was when my daughters were NB) Is it ok she doesn't go in?

Question 3:
It's almost 2 weeks since Rainbow came home and a few days ago I noticed 2 soft spots at the bottom on her tummy. The other day they appeared sunk in a little. Today, one appears that way, the other doesn't. Should I be concerned? Not sure if it's a hatchling thing.

My cousin got Rainbow for me. I am not sure from where. I wish I would've seen where she came from to get a better idea of she was being taken care of properly.
Thank you!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
To me their smell is great. I have watched Opo smell down some other small animals poo. He is like a hound dog. When he was young he had soft spots on the plastron. Just keep a eye on them. Put him in the hide now and then and he might catch on. Also if the temperature is to cool he wont like it. Try to keep it above 80.

MrsBarefoot

Tampa, FL
To me their smell is great. I have watched Opo smell down some other small animals poo. He is like a hound dog. When he was young he had soft spots on the plastron. Just keep a eye on them. Put him in the hide now and then and he might catch on. Also if the temperature is to cool he wont like it. Try to keep it above 80.
Thank you for replying!
I will definitely keep an eye on her.
What about the dust/vitamins?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you for replying!
I used a liquid spray vitamin. But now I use mazuri tortoise diet.
You are going to end up feeding him mazuri. So I would start now. I just bought a bag of it at a feed and seed store.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you for replying!
When you buy some get the 5M21. The LS is not desirable to torts.

MrsBarefoot

Tampa, FL
You are going to end up feeding him mazuri. So I would start now. I just bought a bag of it at a feed and seed store.
I saw that liquid spray. Was tempted to get it instead, but didn't.
Does mazuri have plenty of the same stuff?
I feed rainbow a variety of greens, hay, grass, flowers and I just bought some tortoise pellets. Can't remember the name. I soak it bc they're so big.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I saw that liquid spray. Was tempted to get it instead, but didn't.
Does mazuri have plenty of the same stuff?
I feed rainbow a variety of greens, hay, grass, flowers and I just bought some tortoise pellets. Can't remember the name. I soak it bc they're so big.
Yes mazuri has what you need. When Opo was young I bought some tortoise pellets. He didn't like them so I gave up. Many members talked about mazuri 5m21. So I bought a small bag online. Soaked the pellets to get them soft. Then mixed it with shredded zucchini. After 3 feedings like that I just soaked it and fed it to him without mixing with zucchini. He loves it like most tortoises. I ran out and just bought a 25 lb bag. It should last me for awhile. I will have to put it in zip lock bags and store in the refrigerator. I only feed it to him 2 or 3 times a week. Only 5 or 6 pellets at a time.
Do you give RHP calcium? Do you soak him in warm water everyday for at least 1/2hr?

MrsBarefoot

Tampa, FL
Yes mazuri has what you need. When Opo was young I bought some tortoise pellets. He didn't like them so I gave up. Many members talked about mazuri 5m21. So I bought a small bag online. Soaked the pellets to get them soft. Then mixed it with shredded zucchini. After 3 feedings like that I just soaked it and fed it to him without mixing with zucchini. He loves it like most tortoises. I ran out and just bought a 25 lb bag. It should last me for awhile. I will have to put it in zip lock bags and store in the refrigerator. I only feed it to him 2 or 3 times a week. Only 5 or 6 pellets at a time.
Do you give RHP calcium? Do you soak him in warm water everyday for at least 1/2hr?
I have calcium, not sure what you mean by RHP. Yes, I soak him every day.
I will definitely get some mazuri!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Here are the units I was talking about. 20190304_173100.jpg
A infrared temp gun is a most need tool also. Just don't point at anyone's eyes or any torts eyes. 20190304_173132.jpg
What type of lighting are you using?

MrsBarefoot

Tampa, FL
She is doing well, thank you! Sleeping a lot. I read it's common with little ones?
I sent you a email Not sure if you got it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
She is doing well, thank you! Sleeping a lot. I read it's common with little ones?
I sent you a email Not sure if you got it.
Good to hear Rainbow is doing good. I will check. Did you get the email that talked about RHP heating?