Hello, New Sulcata Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

StilesJman

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I'm new here and rescued a 7 month old Sulcata yesterday. The previous owner didn't provide the proper care (only romaine lettuce, small housing, etc) and simply wanted to get rid of him because she didn't like how big he was getting. Unbelievable! I'm located here in southern California and the little guy is currently outside getting his graze on. Unfortunately it's cloudy outside and was hoping he could soak up some rays. This forum has been extremely helpful and I'm so glad I found it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome! Glad to hear you are able to keep the tortoise outside.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like your new baby will be very happy in your care. Any pictures?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hey fellow so Cal dweller. Welcome to TFO.

How do you plan to raise your new shelled buddy?

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Be sure to check out Toms threads below in my post for raising a sully.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I'm in SoCal too (well not right at the moment, but I live there). Let me know if you need any tips specific to our area.

StilesJman

5 Year Member
I'm trying to make sure he is able to get enough exercise and the proper diet that he was previously deprived of. I have a 5' x 5' enclosure that I move around for him to explore and graze in. He is also getting a chance to soak in water for 10mins each day. For his indoor home its about 18" by 16". The previous owner had him in a very loose desert sand bedding but hes currently in an alfalfa pellet bedding now. He's starting to eat some grasses now but I'm sure he's mad because of the lack of romaine lettuce. There's also a uvb lamp and a basking lamp that I'm using. I'm worried though that he started to develop MBD when he was with the previous owner. He tends to not want to stand on his rear legs and instead push himself to where he wants to go. I'm giving him a little extra calcium in his grass from the cuttlebone (think how you add grated parmesan to your pasta, kinda like that). Sorry if this kinda turned into a post that doesn't belong in this thread.

StilesJman

5 Year Member
Sorry, forgot to add a pic

Attachments

• sulcata tort.jpg
    sulcata tort.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 49

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...kudos to you. Don't mean to be rude, but get rid of those pellets. He is not walking right because he is on those pellets first off. Below my signature there are threads that you need to read. He has started to pyramid. If you can start getting him in a good enclosure and get him on a good diet he should turn out ok.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
hello and welcome, congratulations on your rescue, please, please, please read tom's threads and good luck with your little guy, with a good diet, proper humidity, lots of sunshine, fresh water and tons of TLC he should thrive!

StilesJman

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Hello and welcome...kudos to you. Don't mean to be rude, but get rid of those pellets. He is not walking right because he is on those pellets first off. Below my signature there are threads that you need to read. He has started to pyramid. If you can start getting him in a good enclosure and get him on a good diet he should turn out ok.

Hey thanks for the suggestions. I'm far from being experienced with Sulcatas so I'm very open-minded at this point. It sounds like cypress mulch is the way to go for bedding from what I've read. I noticed his back leg's were acting up when I first picked him up and he's been having issues regardless of what surface he's on. Whether it's in the enclosure outside or soaking. I just hope that with the change it's reversible and he gets to live a normal life.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi StilesJ:

Well, the alfalfa pellets can't be moistened because they will mold. A growing sulcata, a baby, requires a humid environment. Your baby is showing quite a bit of pyramiding for such a small tortoise. This is due to the fact he has been kept on a dry substrate.

I learned this from reading Tom's threads:

Baby sulcatas in the wild hatch out during the end of the monsoon season. the plains are flooded and there are tender grasses growing all over the place. So when the babies hatch, they are NOT in a desert-type environment, but rather, in a very moist and humid environment. Baby tortoises spend a good deal of their time underground (because they are prey). Underground is moist and humid.

So, moral of the story, get rid of the alfalfa pellets and get something you can moisten.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
also try Spring mix salad.. tender grass shoots are great.. but what is in the picture might be too intimidating for him to eat well unless you cut it up smaller..

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. With a good diet, environment, and exercise your tortoise will recover. Mine came to me as a rescue at about the same age as yours. His shell was firmer and his legs was stronger, but overall he was in similar condition. That was almost 3 years ago. To save him you must act now! I would recommend you get him into a closed chamber as soon as possible. It allows you to provide a stable, controlled environment that he can thrive in. Continue to take him outside for sun and exercise, but the rest of the time he should be in the closed chamber. His appetite will increase, his digestion will improve, his legs will gain strength, and his shell will begin to grow in smooth. He are some examples of closed chambers. I didn't create anything too elaborate, but I did close my inclosure to control the heat and humidity levels.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Status
Not open for further replies.