Hello, new Sulcata parent here.

Neegan

Hello all, I recently rescued what we have since deemed to be a Sulcata tortoise from a family who were about to lose their home. We've owned other exotics, but this is our first tortoise, so I am trying to learn everything I can to keep Neegan safe, healthy & happy. So glad I stumbled upon this forum as I have already been reading through lots of different threads, which is what helped us figure out what kind of tortoise Neegan was.

I was told nothing about his/her background other than they thought the tortoise was about 5 maybe 6 years old. I was originally told it was a Russian tortoise, but based on everything I can see, it appears to be that Neegan is very much a Sulcata. I am attaching a couple of pics, so please correct me if I am wrong.

So the large tank is what Neegan arrived in and we live in the Northeast and it's just now warming up enough that we can consider getting him outside. I actually let him wander around the yard a bit today as it was a little warmer. So an outdoor pen will be forthcoming. In the current living quarters, we added the rock water pool in the corner and changed the bedding to a combination of EcoEarth coconut fiber bedding (which he really seems to like because he can dig into it) and Forest Floor bedding.

We have been feeding him a combination of greens, grass from the yard, dandelions as well as baby romaine, cucumbers and supplementing with an occasional dose of tortoise food from the pet store (not certain this was wise, but wanted to ensure he was getting enough nutrients) . I also have a cuttlefish bone in there with him, as I was told it was good for his shell.

Neegan appears healthy and active.

I think my biggest question at the moment is, does Neegan appear to be small for the age given?

Open to suggestions, information, helpful hints!!

Ignore the little clay turtle, it was in there when he came to us so we left it there. Also, currently the tank is on the floor in my home office, so please ignore the items in the back ground. If we decide to continue to use this tank we will make a stand for it, but I think we are going to be building something new for Neegan.
20170524_163716.jpg 20170524_163707.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. He is very small for his age, but I would not worry about that. Just give him good care, and he'll grow.

Read these for the correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I can't tell what lighting you've got, but pet stores usually sell people the wrong things. The ramped water bowl is dangerous and needs to be removed ASAP.

Neegan

Hello and welcome. He is very small for his age, but I would not worry about that. Just give him good care, and he'll grow.

Read these for the correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I can't tell what lighting you've got, but pet stores usually sell people the wrong things. The ramped water bowl is dangerous and needs to be removed ASAP.

Thank you for the information. We know the lighting is not correct, it's what was in the tank when he was dropped off and we are working on getting it changed out. Can you tell me why the water bowl is dangerous? I only ask because he seems to love it. I have no problem changing it out though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the information. We know the lighting is not correct, it's what was in the tank when he was dropped off and we are working on getting it changed out. Can you tell me why the water bowl is dangerous? I only ask because he seems to love it. I have no problem changing it out though.

Those bowls are a flipping hazard. Great for lizards and snakes with their flexible bodies, but they are a death trap for a tortoise or turtle with a rigid shell. Several members have come home to find their tortoise upside down in those bowls and in some instances dead from drowning.

Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.

Neegan

Those bowls are a flipping hazard. Great for lizards and snakes with their flexible bodies, but they are a death trap for a tortoise or turtle with a rigid shell. Several members have come home to find their tortoise upside down in those bowls and in some instances dead from drowning.

Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.

Thank you, I will replace it immediately. Reading threads you posted now, greatly appreciated!

Neegan

Welcome! Neegan looks great. I wonder if he's a fan of The Walking Dead

Well, the name he arrived with was Teegan, but my Grandson (who happens to be a fan of TWD) kept saying Neegan, so it kinda stuck! We are all fans here. Our Daughter (Grandson's Mom) was looking for a name for her new pond turtle, we decided since we now have Neegan, Lucille would be appropriate for her turtle, LOL!

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
Well, the name he arrived with was Teegan, but my Grandson (who happens to be a fan of TWD) kept saying Neegan, so it kinda stuck! We are all fans here. Our Daughter (Grandson's Mom) was looking for a name for her new pond turtle, we decided since we now have Neegan, Lucille would be appropriate for her turtle, LOL!

That's so awesome! I love it. They have true "personality" names :D