Hello new to site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
I have a new 2 month old and I'm thinking I need some help with the housing? I have him or her in a 20 gallon tank with a heat lamp and a 10.0 UVB . I started the tank off with some calcium sand and that's all but I've been looking at some amazing enclosures & I think, I'm doing it all wrong. Can I please get some advice, it would be very helpful. Thanks!!!

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I would replace the sand with eco earth and sand(50/50 mix).The bulb and 10.0 uvb seem fine though.Good luck,tom.I would also keep the substrate damp to provide humidity.

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
Thanks for your advice, can I purchase the eco earth & sand at any pet store? Any kind of damp is fine? Also I have a small piece of cage carpet for him, is that ok? Sorry I'm new to this and I wouldn't want anything to happen to my little sulcata. Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi and welcome to the forum. The substrate should be moist enough to hold it's shape when you squeeze it. You'll get the eco earth at the chain stores like Petco. It could also be called bed a beast. Mix it 50/50 with clean play sand. He needs humidity to help prevent pyramiding. I think that your UVB light is too much for a 20 gallon aquarium. I would be afraid of eye damage. I dislike that calcium sand as impaction can be a problem if they eat too much of it. You didn't mention a hide...does he have a small safe hide to sleep in?
No to the cage carpet...JMO

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
Hello, as far as the UVB light, the pet store where I purchased him from recommend that I use that big of the light b/c of the size of the aquarium. I recently had one of those spiral bulbs and took it out b/c I did notice his eye was starting to shut but changed the lighting and got better, but I'll keep a closer eye on him. I'll change that carpet today ASAP.
Yes he has a hide house he sleeps in. I would like to improve his living b/c I'm not real comfortable with the set up that I have. I feed him grass, cactus, flowers and some alfalfa with grass pellets that I purchased from Petsmart. He poops fine, I do soak him about 3 to 4 times a week and have him roam the yard for exercise. Any more helpful hints you may have for me. Thank you, your really helpful in alot of your responses that I've seen from other members.
Thanks!!

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I would try feeding him some collard greens ,mustard greens, dandelion greens and flowers, romaine all in moderation along with hay chopped up fine and mixed with greens.Also i would sprinkle some multivitamin and calcium on his food a couple times a week.Regular warm water soaks are good a few times a week.As far as bulb goes(10.0)thats what i use when mine is indoors too, just keep an eye on him.

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
TKCARDANDCOIN said:
I would try feeding him some collard greens ,mustard greens, dandelion greens and flowers, romaine all in moderation along with hay chopped up fine and mixed with greens.Also i would sprinkle some multivitamin and calcium on his food a couple times a week.Regular warm water soaks are good a few times a week.As far as bulb goes(10.0)thats what i use when mine is indoors too, just keep an eye on him.

SO just try chopping all that you mentioned together & refrigerate the rest? I'll try that, b/c he is a good eater and likes red leaf lettace. Also on that eco earth & sand both should be mixed 50/50 right? And how deep, enough for him to dig deep or shell deep? I'm gonna send my husband to shop asap for all these items that where told to me. Thank you so much!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

Mysulcata Franklin said:
Hello, as far as the UVB light, the pet store where I purchased him from recommend that I use that big of the light b/c of the size of the aquarium. I recently had one of those spiral bulbs and took it out b/c I did notice his eye was starting to shut but changed the lighting and got better, but I'll keep a closer eye on him. I'll change that carpet today ASAP.
Yes he has a hide house he sleeps in. I would like to improve his living b/c I'm not real comfortable with the set up that I have. I feed him grass, cactus, flowers and some alfalfa with grass pellets that I purchased from Petsmart. He poops fine, I do soak him about 3 to 4 times a week and have him roam the yard for exercise. Any more helpful hints you may have for me. Thank you, your really helpful in alot of your responses that I've seen from other members.
Thanks!!

I am so glad that you are aware enough that you saw the eye damage from those bulbs. That was seriously good. I have had some trouble also from those bulbs. But I still think the 10.0 tube is too much light for a 20 gallon aquarium. I think you should have a 5.0...JMHO...stop feeding those alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa has too much protein for our tortoises you need to stop feeding him those.and you should add some other stuff. A variety, blossoms, leafs, weeds add some Spring Mix with the other stuff I mentioned you'd be giving him a good variety to eat...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a big fan of keeping tortoises in glass cages. In my opinion, its easier to have a temperature gradient (a warm side and a cool side) in a plastic or wood container.

Yvonne

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Mysulcata Franklin said:
Thanks!!

I am so glad that you are aware enough that you saw the eye damage from those bulbs. That was seriously good. I have had some trouble also from those bulbs. But I still think the 10.0 tube is too much light for a 20 gallon aquarium. I think you should have a 5.0...JMHO...stop feeding those alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa has too much protein for our tortoises you need to stop feeding him those.and you should add some other stuff. A variety, blossoms, leafs, weeds add some Spring Mix with the other stuff I mentioned you'd be giving him a good variety to eat...

I took the carpet out once I got home from work last night, went shopping and bought eco earth, calcium powder for his food, and timothy hay. The alfalfa pellets aren't a good idea, I never started with those anyways but have heard bad stories from them. I was told from where he was purchased from that the light that I bought is good for that 20 tank, I don't know....I'm planning on having my husband build a wooden box, good ideas from members on line.
Thank you!!!!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Wooden box is good, I have mine in a tank right now, and have not had a problem with temp. gradients, its actually easier to have a warm side and cool side in the room its in. ITs a big tank though its 4 foot long and little over 2 feet white, plus they are only in there till it gets warm which is about 2 months so far and hopefully soon they will be outdoors. I dont recommend a tank as a permanent house, when i had my greek they lived indoors a lot more and i had a 8x4 foot table. Also good to have a table if you plan to have them indoors long periods of time, or if you have room for it, lol.

As for the substrate dont want it wet just damp, and i only have one side damp not the whole enclosure just because they can choose what they want. Like everyone said the 50/50 mix is the best mix.

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
Wooden box is good, I have mine in a tank right now, and have not had a problem with temp. gradients, its actually easier to have a warm side and cool side in the room its in. ITs a big tank though its 4 foot long and little over 2 feet white, plus they are only in there till it gets warm which is about 2 months so far and hopefully soon they will be outdoors. I dont recommend a tank as a permanent house, when i had my greek they lived indoors a lot more and i had a 8x4 foot table. Also good to have a table if you plan to have them indoors long periods of time, or if you have room for it, lol.

As for the substrate dont want it wet just damp, and i only have one side damp not the whole enclosure just because they can choose what they want. Like everyone said the 50/50 mix is the best mix.

Thanks, Im having my husband try to build a wooden box. Some ppl have very cool habitats. I also but not yet haven't experianced any problems with my glass tank, I have the temp control and has a warm & cool area.
Well what I did I bought the eco earth the brick and mixed water b/c it was cheaper and let it soak ect..... then I placed sand under the bottom of the tank and placed the damped mix in the whole tank..... guess I wasn't suppose to do that?? So Im guessing that one side w/ mix & the other dry w/ sand right?! Also I've notice that some ppl like adding potting soil? HAve you ever used that before?

Thanks for your advice!!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
i just mix it all together, no sand on one side and eco earth on the other, just a blend of it all together, It will be damp at first but it will dry so you will have to put water in it every now and then, but pretty much i only put it on one end once it does dry out.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have raised numerous tortoises in glass aquariums and really have not had a problem with them. But because I had the opportunity I had a tort table put in my living room and had 9 yearling tortoises in it and they never did adjust to living in there so after a few weeks of not eating I put them all back in their viv and they started eating and acting normal in a few days...
I like aquariums better because you can adjust the heat/cool sides more efficiently. So while most would say aquariums aren't good to keep tortoises, I disagree and say that if you use a larger tank and are careful with the lights and don't cook the animal they are good enough.:p

Mysulcata Franklin said:
Millerlite said:

Thanks, Im having my husband try to build a wooden box. Some ppl have very cool habitats. I also but not yet haven't experianced any problems with my glass tank, I have the temp control and has a warm & cool area.
Well what I did I bought the eco earth the brick and mixed water b/c it was cheaper and let it soak ect..... then I placed sand under the bottom of the tank and placed the damped mix in the whole tank..... guess I wasn't suppose to do that?? So Im guessing that one side w/ mix & the other dry w/ sand right?! Also I've notice that some ppl like adding potting soil? HAve you ever used that before?

Thanks for your advice!!!

You should have mixed the sand with the eco earth then spread the whole mess around your tank. If you use potting soil you need to make sure it is not treated with anything and doesn't have perlite or any white pieces added that your tortoise will eat...I wouldn't use potting soil. Sometimes top soil is alright

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
I guess I'm the minority because I do use potting soil. I recently added sulcata grass seed mix to it so now I have a little grassy enclosure. Now that the grass is growing, I water it with warm water about twice a week.
Only had shelly a couple of months, but so far, so good.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use fine grade orchid bark or cypress mulch in all my habitats...I am seriously in the minority...

Status
Not open for further replies.