Hello! New to the forum.Included video link to our friends little outdoor habitat

MrT for me

Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
Hello! New to the forum and glad to be here. After a month of planning and 3 months of building I finally finished his outdoor habitat. His name is MrT and he is a 3 year old Sulcata. It doesn’t look like much but a lot of thought and research went into his house. He really seems to like it. He lives in the northern part of New Mexico USA. Winters can get into the 10 degree F’ range. I just finished it as winter is starting to set in. Due to this I was not able to plant vegetation and have to let him venture into our other yard that has all kinds of yummy grass and weeds for him. Next summer I plan on planting vegetation in his habitat yard area(minus the outer circumference of coarse) ;).

Last edited:

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome! Wow! You've really put some work into that setup and it's so nice. Lucky Mr T!

MrT for me

New Mexico
Wow, thank you so much! It’s quite a compliment coming from people that have so much more experience than me. He’s just so important to us. We were entrusted with him by my wife’s brother who passed away way too soon. We love him for sentimental reasons but it’s just a total bonus that he’s so cool and has such a fun personality. Thanks again for such a warm welcome.

MrT for me

New Mexico
....oh, and lest I forget. Thank you all that take the time to post your experience and ideas on this forum. I spent many a day browsing this forum as I was planning and preparing MrT’s habitat. Made such a massive difference for a newbie like me. THANK YOU!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

My speakers don't work, so please excuse me if you addressed this in your video: Tortoises dig at the corners when they're getting ready to settle down for the night. It's just second nature for a burrowing tortoise to enlarge and modify his burrow when settling in for the night. If you don't protect the rigid foam walls at tortoise height, he's soon going to destroy them.

Other than that, I love the area you've set up for the tortoise. It looks great.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Nice set up inside and out. Will definitely save this thread. I will be needing to do that next year

MrT for me

New Mexico
ED410F5E-6A75-44DD-A056-175306114F73.jpeg
Welcome to the Forum!

My speakers don't work, so please excuse me if you addressed this in your video: Tortoises dig at the corners when they're getting ready to settle down for the night. It's just second nature for a burrowing tortoise to enlarge and modify his burrow when settling in for the night. If you don't protect the rigid foam walls at tortoise height, he's soon going to destroy them.

Other than that, I love the area you've set up for the tortoise. It looks great.
I really appreciate your input. Are the bumpers I used not tall enough? It might be kinda hard to see in the video. I’ll include a couple pictures when I was building it. It’s 16” high synthetic non toxic decking material that’s impervious to mold or mildew. That’s the only reason that I went with it over conventional wood, but I could easily add another 16” if needed? I knew it might be too low. Curses!

Attachments

• 886A6AAD-24FA-47D9-A7B3-FAF528B36D16.jpeg
    886A6AAD-24FA-47D9-A7B3-FAF528B36D16.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • C5232807-8D35-4DA0-B172-726A38E75CE0.jpeg
    C5232807-8D35-4DA0-B172-726A38E75CE0.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17

MrT for me

New Mexico
Please do critique my setup. I rather get critiques than inadvertently do something that might harm our little friend. I really do appreciate it. For anybody interested I have close to 400 pictures I took while building it so if you need any more clarification on the material used or the way in which I built it I would be more than happy to pass that on to you if you’d like. Thanks again my new forum friends.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Please do critique my setup. I rather get critiques than inadvertently do something that might harm our little friend. I really do appreciate it. For anybody interested I have close to 400 pictures I took while building it so if you need any more clarification on the material used or the way in which I built it I would be more than happy to pass that on to you if you’d like. Thanks again my new forum friends.
I will definitely be picking your brain next summer. I really like 6×6 or 8×8 you used for the border. Also the weather resistant enclosure

MrT for me

New Mexico
Added a remote monitor today.

Attachments

• FA78B462-3474-4779-8B55-118557AA375F.jpeg
    FA78B462-3474-4779-8B55-118557AA375F.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 5FE1356F-3F1D-43C4-B8D8-380671F7F0A5.jpeg
    5FE1356F-3F1D-43C4-B8D8-380671F7F0A5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • E1F905B6-6C2D-46A9-8B8D-C0EE7FD312E0.jpeg
    E1F905B6-6C2D-46A9-8B8D-C0EE7FD312E0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Hello! New to the forum and glad to be here. After a month of planning and 3 months of building I finally finished his outdoor habitat. His name is MrT and he is a 3 year old Sulcata. It doesn’t look like much but a lot of thought and research went into his house. He really seems to like it. He lives in the northern part of New Mexico USA. Winters can get into the 10 degree F’ range. I just finished it as winter is starting to set in. Due to this I was not able to plant vegetation and have to let him venture into our other yard that has all kinds of yummy grass and weeds for him. Next summer I plan on planting vegetation in his habitat yard area(minus the outer circumference of coarse) ;).
What a wonderful enclosure! I am sure Mr T loves it! I really liked the use of the garden storage shed as a "house".....such a great idea!