Hello new to the forums from upstate new york

joseph rether

Hi all new here with a baby hermans tort been reading a lot and hope to take good care of him

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Joseph and welcome to the best place for up to date, and tried and tested information.
There's lots to read but worth the effort and please ask as many questions as you like - someone will always be around to
help.

joseph rether

Thank You I have a western hermans baby been reading a lot before I got him or her. trying to keep the humidity up, he likes to hide in his moss that I have soaked using a good light with heat so far all has been good.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank You I have a western hermans baby been reading a lot before I got him or her. trying to keep the humidity up, he likes to hide in his moss that I have soaked using a good light with heat so far all has been good.
Yes babies need to be kept warm
A good thing to remember is
right temps +humidity = healthy tort
too cold + humidity = sick tort

What are you using for night heat?

joseph rether

zoo med heat pad I but under tub and then put a top on and leave a small area open, the humidity does go up to 90% temp is at 70 but warmer where he is. The humidity is at 60 to 70% with the heat light/ uv bulb during the day

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
zoo med heat pad I but under tub and then put a top on and leave a small area open, the humidity does go up to 90% temp is at 70 but warmer where he is. The humidity is at 60 to 70% with the heat light/ uv bulb during the day
I think it may need to be a little warmer for babies
and not sure heat pads are enough, a torts lungs are on the top.
but check the caresheet for hermanns - that will tell you everything you need to know about temps, humidity, substrate etc.
I use a mercury vapour bulb (MVB) which gives light, heat and uvb raysin one bulb for day (not the coil or long thin loop cfl type which as you prob already know is harmful to torts eyes) and a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) run through a thermostat at night; this just gives heat and the thermostat keeps the temps even.
One of the best things I bought is a digital temp gun which is great for spot checking the 4 diff temps and a digital humidity meter, Much more reliable than the ones the pet stores stock.
I also found the Beginners Mistakes threads useful - to help avoid making the same mistakes as others.
if you post pics of your set up members will be able to advise on any improvement you could make - if needed - to keep your tort happy and healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

TaylorTortoise

Abington
DO YOU SOAK THE MOSS AND KEEP THE HUMID HIDE NEAR THE BASKING LIGHT TO KEEP IT HUMID?