Hello, rescued Torty don't no which breed ?!

Nina1991

Hello there! I've always kept snakes / lizards / fish but never a tortoise. A friend of a friend had got one for her child for a present but it wasn't really wanted or cares for properly therefore I wanted to take it and make its life happy. I've been researching a lot but there's a lot of conflicting information. I asked the person what breed and they didn't no (I think he looks like a Horsfield but can someone confirm? Also I'm worried he has Metabolic bone disease becouse his shell plates are risen and the previous owner only had a heat bulb and natura light. I've given him a bowel of mixed veg and fruit and he's been outside for a couple of hours and looked very happy and inquisitive and eaten some garden weeds he's got a very big appetite so surely he couldn't have to bad MBS to be like this? I'm going to get some calcium dust tomorrow and a UV heat combation lamp I hope this is right. Please help me I want to make him happy and healthy :) here are some pics of his set up plus shell and too see what breed he is! Thank you!!

IMG_4288.JPG IMG_4303.JPG IMG_4298.JPG

Eduardo Hernandez

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
Yes, it does look like you have a cute Russian tort :)

Unfortunately, fruits are not good for more tortoises. Russians eat broadleaf greens and weeds. If needed, you can use spring mix from the grocery store or endive and escarole to feed him. Carrots are also not good, too much sugar.

You are going to need a bigger enclosure. 8' by 4' is what's recommended around here. If you post pictures of your UV build, we can make sure its the right one.

It seems like his shell is a bit pyramided, theres not much to do now about it though.

Nina1991

Hi :) thanks for your replys! ah dam I read on a site to get apricots apple etc but I guess I'll stick to the green he seems to love the spinach the most anyway?! Ive got my eye on a 5 foot enclosure so hopefully will be able to get that soon , this is the bulb I'm was going to get tommorow I hope it will serve as both the heat and UV source it is mega expensive! He will be near a window so will get natural light and a garden enclosure also. Oh no :( if I increase his calcium and UV will the effects start to go away? I hope he's not uncomfortable , thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4304.PNG
    IMG_4304.PNG
    800.9 KB · Views: 14

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Spinach isn't too good, it has something in it which binds to calcium and won't let his body absorb it. Your pic didn't post, so we can't see the bulb :(

Being next to a window isn't too great, a UV doesn't pass through screens or windows and it can make it pretty hot in the enclosure. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about the pyramiding though.

Nina1991

Ah I'm getting everything wrong What's the best greens for him? Every stinking care guide says conflicting things Oh I'll try and post it again! Ah ok even though there is nothing that can be done will he feel better with a better lifestyle. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4304.PNG
    IMG_4304.PNG
    800.9 KB · Views: 8

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yes it's a Russian or horse field as you thought. The pyramiding was due to low humidity as he was growing. It's permanent since he's full grown now. If he was younger than all future growth what could be smooth and what pyramiding he had wouldn't look as bad. This website has all the current information about tortoise care. There are so many breeders here that have bred hundreds and hundreds of tortoises different ways and they know what causes what from experience. At top of page if you click on forums and scroll down you should be able to find different sections of this forum. There's a tortoise library listing the different foods for different tortoises. There's one called beginner's mistakes that is awesome. There is a search box on this form at the top where you can type in anything, for instance, 'beginner's mistakes' and it'll take you to different threads that talk about beginners mistakes. You get the quickest responses on this website as well even though the people who respond may only have one or two tortoises they read here so much information that they're able to impart it to you even though they've never had that issue come up in their own experience.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Hi Nina and welcome to the forum!

First things first and that is to get your enclosure sorted out. I'm not at all good with the lights and such so I will let experienced owners help you.

I can tell you that water bowl is not safe for tortoises; they aren't like lizards that can bend their bodies or necks to get at the water. Get a cheap terra cotta saucer--what you put under a plant--and sink that down into the substrate so that it's level.

Your tortoise can go for a while without much to eat while you get the enclosure right; just make sure it's got the water dish.

Here is the beginner's mistakes thread, take a look: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This is the Russian care sheet; there is a lot here but it is all excellent information: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Once all that is done, we can get to food!

Where do you live? That will let us better help you with choices on things to grow or find.

For now, if you are in the United States, go to just about any decent grocery store and buy one or some of the following:

radishes with the tops on (you just feed the leaves, not the actual radish)
turnips with the tops on (like radish, you only feed the leaves)
a bag of chopped collards or a bunch of collards you chop yourself
A bag of arugula, any kind
Go to the far end of the lettuce collection and look for the stuff that costs the most! :) You'll find a head of chicory, frisee, or radicchio. Ask someone from the vegetable section if you can't figure out what's what.
A bunch of watercress--it's usually near the parsley.
If you find something titled "dandelions," buy it! It won't look like the dandelions you're used to but they are good tortoise food

You can also look for a bag of "spring," "spicy" or "Italian" salad mix with the bagged salads. Check the label; you're looking for a blend that contains the spicy chicories mentioned above: the chicory, frisee, or radicchio. Or all three! It's okay if there are a few other things in the bag but you are looking for the spicy stuff, not just a bag of mixed lettuce.

Your Russian won't eat a ton so don't buy all of these at once unless you really like salad!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
What a little beauty! I love that light color! Those pyramids in my view just add to her character! Very, very pretty! Welcome from Texas!

Nina1991

Hi, hello! I went and bought him a full UV spectrum and heat lamp today and he likes sitting in it, we went to a Chinese market and bought him a range of fresh leaves the lady said are for tortoises which he likes! And also bought a calcium dust and vitamin dust which he's already had some of. I have another question his back legs drag and look very flat I think this is becouse of the metabolic bone disease too but will this heal eventually and his legs move easier with the right care ? Thank you you are all very helpful and We live in the U.K. ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_4307.JPG
    IMG_4307.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11