Hello :) soon to be tortoise owner...

chelslpn

I actually ended up getting a Russian from a pet store because I felt bad having one shipped, and now I think I feel worse. It's obvious he's wild caught... between 6-10 years old (we think).. but it seems as if he's never been handled by a person before. He barely eats (only when no one is home.. I see the bite marks), stays in his hide all day... today he did come out for a few hours but definitely not to explore, just bury his head and sleep. If I do pick him up or take him outside or to soak, whatever.. as soon as he goes back in, he's frantic trying to escape and scratching the walls, running over anything in his way until i pick him up and turn him towards his hut and then he runs back in. I did so much research on habitat, care, etc ..and I know he is a tortoise, not a dog.. I know it takes time for them to develop trust, or to at least recognize that I bring food...I'm sure he's still trying to get used to his new home.. but I just have a feeling that something isn't right. I'm not even sure if he's healthy and I can't go by what petsmart says because they tried to tell me he was less than a year old, which is wrong. I have 2 weeks to return him, and I feel awful even thinking about it, but I feel awful as it is. I'm not really sure what to do here. He is absolutely adorable... but absolutely not meant to be someones pet. He was snatched out of his natural habitat. I would love a somewhat familiarized, hardy eater, with at least a little energy... not sure where to go from here. Help :(

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I would NOT give him back! He is not going to be treated any better. My Russian from PetCo sleeps about 12 hours+ a day (insisting on going to bed at 7pm SHARP). It took awhile for him to eat, too. I got him on Saturday and he's just now starting to eat when we are around and watching. He also is just now starting to go out an explore his cage and soak in his water dish. Russians are very active and climbers. What does your viv look like? If it is glass/see through he might be confused because he doesn't understand he can't go through. I heard taping or adding something a ways up so he can't see through helps this. Also, make him a vet visit. Make sure the vet you are seeing knows about exotic pets otherwise it will be a waste of money. You can also have them do a fecal test to make sure he has no parasites.

From what you're telling me, I think he's just adapting to his new place and should be ok, just keep watch on him. (PetCo also lied to me about the age of my tortoise, seems like something they like to do.)

chelslpn

I bought a big bookcase and flipped it on his side so he can't see out of it. I have a friend that works at PetCo ...she was telling me that they are dewormed and vaccinated before they get them... and I found this out after I got mine from petsmart. My water dish is one of those terracotta plant things so it absorbs water and kind of leaks which is good because the next day I can stir up all the damp substrate and move some in his house... he likes to dig in it after I do that and get comfy. I leave the window open during the day... I live in south florida... so it stays humid in here (especially before/after it rains) but not too humid or sticky and under his heat lamp is around 94. I have to make some adjustments with that because it's a clamp lamp & I'm going to use a 100w lighbulb like a lot of people have been telling me to switch to. I'm also getting some rocks and plants and things so he's not just staring at a bowl and a wall... I prob wouldn't come out much either ha.

It's just discouraging ya know... he looks terrified all the time which is no way to live, but it could be worse... he could go to someone who has done no research... or stay at petsmart in a tiny aquarium stuffed in with another tortoise and some woodchips. He came out last night from like 5-10 to sleep... made himself a fort and buried his head.. and he let me touch his head to brush all the dust and substrate off but as soon as he was fully awake and realized what was going on, he was not going for it ha. I'm making him something to go outside in today... maybe that'll help. He's really cute.. i'm sure he's sweet too, he never acts annoyed with me when I pet his shell or anything, just looks scared.

Wish me luck :/ lol

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I think it's normal behavior because it's a new place. I'm sure everything will be fine, he's just getting used to a new environment. :)