Hello! (Sulcata owner)

catnipbowser0810

Location (City and/or State)
Haslett MI
Hello everyone,

My name is Ryan and this last Saturday me and my wife purchased a baby Sulcata for the first time. I have always had a love for turtles/tortoises ever since I was a little kid and when I was a teenager I had two Red-Eared Slider turtles. I wanted a Sulcata Tortise for years now but didnt have the space nor means to take care of one property until now and thats when I decided it was time.

We picked up the baby Sulcata from a store near home called the Roadshow that sells all kinds of reptiles. He/She (we arent sure yet) is 5 months old and is named Bowser. We got a Bowser a wooden tortise house on Amazon and lined the inside with laminate flooring to prevent bactera growing into the wood. We use Repta-Bark and organic potting soil mixed together for the substrate. We also have some sphagnum moss in there, 2 coconut tunnels for hiding, a 150w ceramic heat lamp set at 95 degrees, a UVB, water and food bowels, and temperature/humidity gauges.

The first day Bowser seemed a bit shy but he is starting to get more comfortable and moving around in his new environment. The only odd thing I have noticed about Bowser is sometimes he will make a clicking noise with his beak. I'm not really sure what that is all about, but he is still eating and pooping regularly. So far all we have managed to get him to eat his carrot tops, dandelion greens, cactus, and lettuce. He also purchased some Mazuri feed but he wont touch it. We also sprinkle calcium on his food when he eats. Looking forward to being a part of the tortise community!

Attachments

• 20190824_225239.jpg
    20190824_225239.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190825_202022.jpg
    20190825_202022.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Congrats! Make sure you monitor the humidity levels closely (northward or 80%) and give it daily soaks for 20-30 minutes. Most pet stores are notorious for housing them in dry conditions.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome to the forum. Just so you know. He only should have the calcium a couple times a week, not every day. You can overload them on calcium.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Check out our species specific section.we have care sheets posted at the top that will answer your questions. Good luck