Hello There!

IndominusTaco

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hi all! I'm new to this forum. I've spent the last year or so heavily researching Mediterranean tortoises and I've decided I would like one as a lifelong friend by my side. I have never owned any pets before, but I am confident and dead set on a Hermann's Tortoise (preferably Western, but would also buy/adopt an Eastern).

The problem that I'm running into is finding a breeder/rescue somewhat close to me (located in the Chicago suburbs), and I'm not sure how to feel about having a tortoise shipped to me. If anyone could help me with this I'd be more than willing to take any and all advice/help. Although I'm not looking to actually acquire my tort until next spring (he will be my college graduation gift to myself) I am getting ready now and plan to build my own tortoise table next year as well as start growing my own plants/flowers to feed him.

I'm also active in the r/tortoise subreddit but decided that this forum may be a better source of information and networking opportunity. I'm excited to learn more about tortoises and eventually proudly call one my own! Thank you guys!

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Welcome to this forum. It is a wonderful forum here you will get correct information.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Definitely reach out to Chris Leone at Garden State Tortoise. He's a private breeder in New Jersey who specializes in the Mediterranean species, and his favorite is the Hermann's. He breeds all the subspecies and locales, so lots of options for you to choose exactly which one you want.

Here's a link to one of his webpages that has a ton of information and photos of each. There is also a very detailed care sheet.

https://www.hermannihaven.com/general

Tortoises always ship overnight priority, so they are delivered the following morning. They are packed very well and safe. I live in Arizona and I've had tortoises shipped to me from all over the country (including Chris Leone) without a single problem.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome! There's nothing wrong with shipping a tortoise when it's done correctly, and gardenstatetortoise.com does it right.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I only know of two people breeding Western hermanni. One is Chris in NJ and the other is Gary Bright in upstate NY. Lots of people breeding Easterns all over the country. I don't know of anyone breeding any species in or around Chicago. @wellington might know of someone there.

Shipping tortoises is standard practice and done all over the country daily. Its done overnight, so the tortoise is only in the shipper's hands for about 14 hours. They are packed with bedding and padding in styrofoam lined boxes and heat or cold packs can be added if needed. We've been doing it this way for decades with no problems.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome and all the best with getting what you are looking for!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
if this is to be your first tortoise I would just chose one to start with.
Otherwise you will need 2 separate set-ups because species can't be mixed, and even pairs of the same species can't be kept together.
I hope you find your reputable breeder soon or you could consider rehoming an older tort - there's lots of them in sanctuaries looking for a forever home.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I dont know of anyone in the Chicago area breeding them.
You would be best to purchase from one of the forum breeders. Shipping is a breeze and shouldnt be a problem if purchased from a good breeder.