Hello There!

Sydneu

Location (City and/or State)
Saint Louis
Hello! My name's Sydney, I'm from St. Louis and recently got my first tortoise! I originally went to a reptile expo nearby looking for toads but when they didn't have any, I decided to get a Russian tortoise names toad. I've kept aquariums for as long as I can remember and have lots of experience keeping and breeding fish, but Toad (the tortoise) is my first reptile so I'm kind of excited for the change.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, Sydney, and welcome to TFO!

You will have many years of enjoyment from Toad, as long as he is housed and fed properly.

Stick to the info you read here. Pet shops, some breeders, and even vets really don't know what they are talking about re' tortoises. Pet shops will sell you overpriced, unneeded equipment. Some breeders don't start babies properly, so that baby and his new mom suffer the consequences. And vets...there is no course on tortoises in vet school. They read what to do from a book...and probably an outdated book at that!

Many of the Facebook pages I've looked at is new keepers trying to advise even newer keepers how to care for the tortoise. They are adamant and loud, but wrong.
If you check them out, please don't try a method or buy anything before running it by us. The members here have kept and bred torts for decades, and have the data to back up their claims of how to do it right.

We want to see pictures of Toad and his enclosure. The forum is having troubles uploading pictures, but as soon as that fix is done, shoot some for us. Get 1 straight toward his face, one of his carapace, one of his plastron, turn him on his back abd get one of his plastrk4q

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, Sydney, and welcome to TFO!

You will have many years of enjoyment from Toad, as long as he is housed and fed properly.

Stick to the info you read here. Pet shops, some breeders, and even vets really don't know what they are talking about re' tortoises. Pet shops will sell you overpriced, unneeded equipment. Some breeders don't start babies properly, so that baby and his new mom suffer the consequences. And vets...there is no course on tortoises in vet school. They read what to do from a book...and probably an outdated book at that!

Many of the Facebook pages I've looked at is new keepers trying to advise even newer keepers how to care for the tortoise. They are adamant and loud, but wrong.
If you check them out, please don't try a method or buy anything before running it by us. The members here have kept and bred torts for decades, and have the data to back up their claims of how to do it right.

We want to see pictures of Toad and his enclosure. The forum is having troubles uploading pictures, but as soon as that fix is done, shoot some for us. Get 1 straight toward his face, one of his carapace, one of his plastron, turn him on his back abd get one of his tail area.

Here are a couple links to start you out.Did the breeder give you any info as to how he was started? Starting refers to egg hatching, incubation, and housing as hatchlings. Closed chamber? Open table? Was he fed a variety of foods?
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

After reading, please come back with any questions. We'll help you with lights, heating, humidity, and lists of good foods.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sydney and welcome!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome Sydney and Toad, as you read the care sheets you will find the importance that Toad will need lots of room. A aquarium will be fine for a minute but Toad will need a much bigger enclosure.
Like KarenSoCal said comeback with any questions you might have.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO! Russians are a great first tortoise.