Hello, This is my first time.

Alison McLean

Location (City and/or State)
Queen Creek Arizona
We have rescued a Sonoran Desert Tortoise a few years ago. he was very small at that time and insisted on continually crossing the road. He is now much larger and I have questions about the type of plants I can feed him.

I have ruellia growing like a weed all over my yard, Mexican primrose, honeysuckle, sweet potato vines(actual sweet potatoes), morning glory, wild sunflowers, fig tree, citrus of all kinds,. Also are the leaves of nectarine, apple, apricot and peach ok to feed. I know a little too much, but I love to garden and am growing a lot of the foods I know he can eat, I would like to expand his diet.

Also, my five year old grand daughter went out to feed him a hibiscus flower and witnessed him devouring a dove that hit the window and fell into his enclosure, I am assuming, he ate the whole bird! I ever thought that they did that and hopefully it isn't going to hurt him. Any comments on that one would be appreciated.

Thanks, Alison

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome Alison. Lots of desert tortoise keepers on here will help you. There are lots of great info post under the varios species...find the Desert Tortoise one. @Tom and @Yvonne G seem to have lots of info to share. Good luck, upload some pix of your tort and his enclosure.... All torts appreciate a nice warm water soak :) from time to time.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome Alison!

I will tell you about the plants I know are safe: Mexican primrose, honeysuckle, sweet potato vines, sunflowers, the occasional fig. Fig leaves should be okay.

Morning glory is controversial for some sources. It is on the list of acceptable foods produced by Arizona Fish and Game http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/w_c/tortoise/new/DesertTortoiseDiet.pdf. It’s in a plant family that is otherwise safe in moderation. I would feed it but I know many owners would not.

Sometimes they eat carrion; I wouldn’t worry about it so long as he’s got access to calcium.

Alison McLean

Queen Creek Arizona
Thank you for your reply. The birds planted the morning glory. Always been cautious about those myself. They go to my neighbors who limes to ant unusual plants and they deposit them in my yard. So I never know what will pop up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Alison!

Gammera

Denver area
Hello, fellow new person... Sounds like you're doing a good job, I've had a little experience with these guys, and They're some of my favorites. I've read that they'll eat some carrion if it's available to help build the bacteria in their gut, to help break down all the roughage.