Hello Tortoise Forums!

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
My name is TortoiseKeeper6 but I don't own any Tortoises yet. I'll get one then my name will make sense. ;):<3:

Colorado
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Do you know what species you'll be getting ?
Hi! I'm not quite sure what species I want. I have a semi large backyard and don't mind large tortoises. I was looking at the sulcata tortoise and mountain tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. When you do decide, read all that you can on here about their care and get things set up and running correctly before your new shell friend arrives. Makes things a lot easier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I'm not quite sure what species I want. I have a semi large backyard and don't mind large tortoises. I was looking at the sulcata tortoise and mountain tortoise.

Hello and welcome.

Both of those are great species, but what will you do with a giant tropical tortoise during your frozen winters?

Colorado
Hello and welcome.

Both of those are great species, but what will you do with a giant tropical tortoise during your frozen winters?
That's a good question I have thought about this but I think I have an idea. There's a youtuber named "Kamp Kenan" who has sulcatas and mountain tortoises and he has a built small heated room where he puts his tortoises in when there is a night below 60 degrees he puts them there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a good question I have thought about this but I think I have an idea. There's a youtuber named "Kamp Kenan" who has sulcatas and mountain tortoises and he has a built small heated room where he puts his tortoises in when there is a night below 60 degrees he puts them there.

He lives in Florida. It never freezes where he is and "cold" winter days are in the 70s or 80s.

Just something to consider. It can be done, but it won't be cheap or easy.

Colorado
He lives in Florida. It never freezes where he is and "cold" winter days are in the 70s or 80s.

Just something to consider. It can be done, but it won't be cheap or easy.
I'm willing to spend my money on it. What do you suggest?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

In your climate, it might be better to consider a species that hibernates - like a Russian or Greek

Jtort1

I chose an RT because I live in New England. I also like Leopards!
I'm fairly new here. I had two torts but one passed recently now I only have the young one female.

daniellenc

Maryland
Red foots aren't small but can be kept indoors in a manageable 8x4 enclosure for winters. I love giant tortoises but I'm also not in an ideal climate.

Colorado
Red foots aren't small but can be kept indoors in a manageable 8x4 enclosure for winters. I love giant tortoises but I'm also not in an ideal climate.
Me neither but I'm willing to spend money for a giant tortoise like a sulcata tortoise to keep him happy during colder days. (which I don't have many of because I don't live in the mountains) I'm building a shed that is 20 x 12 feet and about 2 feet tall (maybe taller) that is fully insulated and has another row of wood with a board that can slide in and out. It's also 18 inches down in the shed so he doesn't leave when it's cold out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
2' tall isn't high enough. You'll burn the tortoise's top shell at that height.

Colorado
2' tall isn't high enough. You'll burn the tortoise's top shell at that height.
I said maybe taller that was my guess (and i'm pretty bad at guessing) It couldn't possibly be shorter than 2 feet but it MIGHT be taller then 3.25 but what height do you suggest when It's fully built