Hello with sexing two tortoises

RussianNinja

Location (City and/or State)
Loudon
I was pretty sure the tortoise I have was a Male and i'm pretty sure the other one is a female just wanted to know for sure. The longer of the two tails has a spur. That you can't see in the photo. I knowthe spur isn't a definite sign of a male cause females can sometimes have spurs.20181209_214802.jpeg20181209_214934.jpeg20181209_215001.jpeg

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
It looks like a male and female. The 2nd photo is the male, and the 3rd is the female.

Also, I wouldn't house them together. It only leads to problems.

RussianNinja

Loudon
It looks like a male and female. The 2nd photo is the male, and the 3rd is the female.

Also, I wouldn't house them together. It only leads to problems.
I know..I'm hoping i get lucky and they co-Habitat. I'm prepared to separate them at any sign of aggression. Also theyre getting a big enclosure outdoor and in.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Sorry if this is something you already know but just in case...
Russians are one of the more aggressive tort species and shouldn't be housed together. They are territorial and one will be dominant and try to push the other out of its territory... except the other doesn't have anywhere to go so the bullying never ends. To many people the bullying looks like affection. One will constantly follow the other, sleep near the other, climb over the other, eat when it wants to eat, etc. This is very stressful for the less dominant tort. When it comes to male-female pairs the male will corner and mate the female until her lady parts are raw and bleed and possibly become infected. If you want to breed them they should only be together until the task is done and then they should be separated. That is what would happen in the wild.

....but also I like the photo of their cute little butts side by side :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I know..I'm hoping i get lucky and they co-Habitat. I'm prepared to separate them at any sign of aggression. Also theyre getting a big enclosure outdoor and in.

Tortoises, especially Russians, should never be housed in pairs regardless of gender. In pairs there is always a dominant and a subordinate, and both are constantly stressed.

Tortoise aggression isn’t as simple as biting and ramming. It’s usually mental bullying, like “cuddling”(crowding), “following”(chasing), standing in food, sitting nose to nose, climbing over each other, and just being together in general.

There is no “getting lucky” when they’re stressed by eachother’s presence. They need to be separated.

RussianNinja

Loudon
The plan is to make an enclosure with 2 everything and a dividing wall with a single opening that can easily be shut off. I've heard of allot of cases where they don't bother each other and do fine. Or they don't bother each other for 3 or more years and then can start showing signs of aggression. I've heard there sometimes like all other species they might be aggressive they might not. Although 80 to 90 percent of the time Russians will be dominant over one or the other sometimes it works out.i just feel like if I notice any of these behaviors that I'll need to be prepared to separate them.