Hello! Would love some help!

John Peskey

Hello special people!
I live in Montana. I am planning on purchasing a Russian tortoise.
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank with a screen top. I was wondering if that would be o.k. OR I could use for a week or so until I can get a Zoo Med Tortiose House OR I could purchase a National Geographic 50 gallon Terrarium ( it has ventilation on the side as well as the screen top.
This set up would be primary until the temps get nice outside. Then I would let the tort use a Zoo Med play pen or take the Tortious house outside during the day.
Any thoughts on this and the exact types of bulbs for Light and heat would be so greatly appreciated, I would love advice from the pros on here and NOT relying on the pet shop associates : )
I have a horse, so I also have access to high quality grass & alfalfa hay.
Thanks!
John

Killerrookie

I recommend this bulb here!!! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425246764.340806.jpg To me it's the best you can get!! Welcome to the forums by the way!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Salutations.
So you want a russian, do you?
That's great russians are awesome tortoises. Bigger is always better when choosing an enclosure, esp. for russians (they like to roam). Pick the one with the biggest floor space, and you won't go wrong.

Killerrookie

I recommend this for night then Zoo Med Repticare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter it will keep the terrarium nice and warm and the cage can't go below 80 into the 70s it's to cold and can cause a Respiratory Infection or make it very sick!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello John welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russians Rule ! Man where do I start : glass isn't good unless you fix it so the tort cannt see out or it will want more space , 70 degrees is great for people but 80 or more is great for torts . Now if you don't trust pet stores and you trust the TFO where are you getting the tort from ? And grass is great for horses and so is alfalfa hay but Russians eat broadleaf plants . But good luck with your plans .

John Peskey

Hello John welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russians Rule ! Man where do I start : glass isn't good unless you fix it so the tort cannt see out or it will want more space , 70 degrees is great for people but 80 or more is great for torts . Now if you don't trust pet stores and you trust the TFO where are you getting the tort from ? And grass is great for horses and so is alfalfa hay but Russians eat broadleaf plants . But good luck with your plans .
I recommend this for night then Zoo Med Repticare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter it will keep the terrarium nice and warm and the cage can't go below 80 into the 70s it's to cold and can cause a Respiratory Infection or make it very sick!
100 watt?

John Peskey

Was planning or broadleaf plants as staple, commercial food AND the hay: )
Is Petsmart a bad place to acquire one?
Sure not going to Petco!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You can easily build something better than the zoo med, I have one and made it work after several modifications but I wouldn't recommend it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John, and welcome to the forum!!

I'm not a big fan of those Zoo Med tortoise houses. They just aren't big enough for a russian tortoise. Buy a couple of the biggest plastic tubs you can afford, cut out opposing ends and put them together. You don't need 'deep,' you need floor space. I like a Mercury Vapor Bulb for day heat and UVB, and if your house is very cold at night,you can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night.

ceramic heat emitter.jpg clamp light.jpg MVB.jpg

DO NOT BUY THIS:

CFL.jpg

John Peskey

Hi John, and welcome to the forum!!

I'm not a big fan of those Zoo Med tortoise houses. They just aren't big enough for a russian tortoise. Buy a couple of the biggest plastic tubs you can afford, cut out opposing ends and put them together. You don't need 'deep,' you need floor space. I like a Mercury Vapor Bulb for day heat and UVB, and if your house is very cold at night,you can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night.

View attachment 120340 View attachment 120341 View attachment 120342

DO NOT BUY THIS:

View attachment 120343
Yes! We are on the same page! (So far) : )

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Here are two large tubs connected and filled with dirt, for a sub adult, Greek ( only when it's too cold out)
I would also buy a Temp. Gun to really monitor various temps in the enclosure, to adjust the height of your heating devices.
Good luck.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Welcome John!! I have to tell you the pictures of the 2 tubes joined together is very clever!! I never would have thought of that!! I love this Forum!!

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
Welcome to the forum and Russians are cool. An adult Russian is fine to go without night as long it stays in the seventy's any cooler should add night heat. and bigger is better they are more active in a bigger enclosure.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Actually, adult Russians need a drop of temperature at night. If your house stays in the 70s that is fine.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There are various ways to make a good indoor enclosure. The above post with the two connected tubs is great. And it would make it easy to cover part of it to keep humidity and heat. you can also use a large kiddie pool, or a bookcase laid on its back with the shelves taken out. your tortoise is going to spend a good deal of time indoors because of where you live. So you have to make a nice large indoor enclosure. check out the enclosures section for some ideas.