Hello! Would love some help!

John Peskey

Why not consider getting it through here but you'll do what's best or you wouldn't be here :)
Hey!
That is a great idea! Not sure where to start. I am confident I could provide a great home & care. Most likely would have to find someone! who would be willing to ship to Montana. I have a veterinarian reference available if need be

John Peskey

Hi John, and welcome to the forum!!

I'm not a big fan of those Zoo Med tortoise houses. They just aren't big enough for a russian tortoise. Buy a couple of the biggest plastic tubs you can afford, cut out opposing ends and put them together. You don't need 'deep,' you need floor space. I like a Mercury Vapor Bulb for day heat and UVB, and if your house is very cold at night,you can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night.

View attachment 120340 View attachment 120341 View attachment 120342

DO NOT BUY THIS:

View attachment 120343
Hi Yvonne, thanks for the advice!
I understand the target enclosure - planning to make a table/bookshelf or stock tank as soon as it gets warmer outside (and I am recovering from a broken collarbone/cracked ribs). In the meantime, do you think a 40 gallon breeder (36x18x18) would work OR the Tortoise House. Which would be better? I have the tank at present -was for a bearded dragon set up. Planning on the bulbs you suggested.
Thanks so much!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I wouldn't say it's bad, it's just not built right for the way to raise a smooth tort with all the new info. It's rather expensive for what it is. Fortunately, I didn't buy mine or I wouldn't be happy with it but I have sank some money closing it up to make it work right. If you have the room you can buy a book shelf or something a lot bigger for less money. I only kept my Sully in it for a few money's because he was small and he did great in it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
An adult requires different care and environment then a hatchling. The babies require more humidity and heat. for an adult temporary enclosure you can get a 54 gallon Rubbermaid bin at Home Depot. it would give you a little more space than your aquarium. The aquarium would work for a short time until you get something else built. Christmas tree boxes are great but they're probably all sold out by now.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you are getting a hatchling then the aquarium would actually be a very good set up. So do some research and see if you're going to go the baby route or the adult route :) then you can decide what type of set up you need. I know there are people who breed Russians here on the forum. There are also many rescues etc. where you can find adult Russians very easily. Even check out craigslist or your local newspaper.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
hi and welcome. this is a great place to start. There are so many debates about petstore tortoises. I personally bought one from a petstore. He is the one in my icon. I had him for 16 days and then had to have him released from his pain. He was sold to me with liver failure. With an adult you dont know the history. Or how they were brought up. Most were caught in the wild. I am now getting a baby so I know how it was started and taken care of. but I am not trying to sway you one way or the other. There are people on this forum that sell all types of tortoises. here is the breeder list for russians

RUSSIAN OR STEPPE

GBtortoises
[email protected]

jwhite
[email protected]

tortadise
North Texas Tortoise Sanctuary/Conservation Center
http://www.tortoisesanctuary.org
[email protected]

TylerStewart
http://www.TortoiseSupply.com
[email protected] or 702-658-5659

Arizona Tortoise Compound
www.arizonatortoisecompound.com
602 828 4188

I think that @Carol S sells russians also and I have heard good things about her.
this is the russian care sheet : http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
ask questions and we will help you. When you decide what you want to get we will help you with the set up you need. Most things at petstores are over priced and the employees often don't know what they are talking about and sell you all the wrong things. So ask here before you buy to save yourself some money.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California