Hello

Michelle D

Just wanted to introduce myself and say Hi from Alabama!

We just got our first redfoot tortoise. This is our first tortoise ever. We probably have done everything wrong so far, but that's why I am here - to learn.

We have had Spike, the tortoise, for about 2 weeks. Our 5 year old desperately wanted one for her birthday. So here we are learning as we go.

This forum has already been a help to us as I found it by googling some of my questions. So thank you! This is the first time I have ever posted something on a forum ( can you believe it?) but I'm going to need help with our new family member. I have found very differing information even about the same kind of tortoise so I need help in getting the right info.

I know our enclosure is way too small at this time so I will be coming back to ask for help as we build one. :)

Glad to be here with wiser people :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Just wanted to introduce myself and say Hi from Alabama!

We just got our first redfoot tortoise. This is our first tortoise ever. We probably have done everything wrong so far, but that's why I am here - to learn.

We have had Spike, the tortoise, for about 2 weeks. Our 5 year old desperately wanted one for her birthday. So here we are learning as we go.

This forum has already been a help to us as I found it by googling some of my questions. So thank you! This is the first time I have ever posted something on a forum ( can you believe it?) but I'm going to need help with our new family member. I have found very differing information even about the same kind of tortoise so I need help in getting the right info.

I know our enclosure is way too small at this time so I will be coming back to ask for help as we build one. :)

Glad to be here with wiser people :)
Hi and welcome Michelle,
This is the best place for up to date information and ideas. I would have been lost without it.
You will find a caresheet under Species Specific, which will guide you through temps, humidity, diet etc
The Enclosures thread is great for ideas and the Beginners Mistakes will help you avoid making the same errors as others.
So read, search and ask as many questions as you need. Pics of your new baby and his enclosure will help you get the best advice from members and there are many experienced redfoot keepers here.
Another good website is www.thetortoisetable.org.uk which is a great guide on what plants are safe or not for torts.
There's a lot to learn but this is the best place to learn it all.

Michelle D

Hi and welcome Michelle,
This is the best place for up to date information and ideas. I would have been lost without it.
You will find a caresheet under Species Specific, which will guide you through temps, humidity, diet etc
The Enclosures thread is great for ideas and the Beginners Mistakes will help you avoid making the same errors as others.
So read, search and ask as many questions as you need. Pics of your new baby and his enclosure will help you get the best advice from members and there are many experienced redfoot keepers here.
Another good website is www.thetortoisetable.org.uk which is a great guide on what plants are safe or not for torts.
There's a lot to learn but this is the best place to learn it all.

Awww! Thank you so much! I appreciate any help. I will attach a pic soon!

Michelle D