hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
Just introducing myself.. brand new to this forum. Hi everyone! I have a russian tort that we've had a few years now.. and are in the process of building her an outdoor pen/moving her to the outside. Found this site when doing my homework for this transition and have really enjoyed reading everyone's feedback. Looking forward to participating!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Welcome. Lots of good, experienced Russian keepers here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Molly:

37246yrunbmn3g8.gif
to the forum!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Mollie. :D

What made you decide on a tortoise for a pet? How do you like keeping Russians? There are lots of Russian keepers on this forum--they seem to be one of the most personable, relatively low-maintenance species. ;)

Please post some photos so we can admire your baby: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
oh my gosh!! to say I'm a "newbie" is an understatement!! I've spent countless hours here the last couple of days.. but didn't think to go back to my into to see if anyone replied. ~ sorry!

Thanks so much everyone for your warm and exciting welcomes. I've posted a few questions.. but tomorrow I will post pics of my in-progress projects and my baby... and would love your feedback anytime!!

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
Hi all again ~

As promised, here is a little more about us..

After having done some homework, we got our tort several years ago (from a pet store - ugh! now I know better). This was to be my son's pet - but as most of us moms out there know.. I've done all of the caretaking, gladly :) We selected a Russian (at least what we were told) due to its sturdy and personable nature. I'll admit to not knowing nearly what I do now at that time. :shy: Here he is!

View attachment 4386

So - he has always been indoor ~ and has been great! Amazing personality.. We've made sure he has had everything he needs/requires and then some but we've recently decided it would be much better for our dear tort family member to be moved outdoors. We live in the Silicon Valley, CA - and have been informed that the weather should serve him just fine - year round. So, we began digging a BIG'OL hole to escape proof his area. We've drawn up plans for the enclosure to be made of brick and lumber. This part has not been fun ~

View attachment 4387

And we've started building a hide...

View attachment 4388

And we've started transitioning him to the outside by bringing him out more often on great weather days - in preparation of a full time move. He's always had "outside" time but this has become now daily and longer for sure.

So ~ since finding this site... I've learned that (even though we were told he was a she) ("Molly" is/was actually her name...) thanks to all of the past questions/answers and pics - that he is in fact a he. <trying to think of a new name.....>

We're also contimplating since we're in the middle of all of this big construction.. maybe he needs a gal pal or two sometime in the future here.. who wouldn't like that?!? so building things accordingly.

Where I am today you ask... I'm even more in love than ever.. likely building him a home that will out-do my own, and seriously 95% sure we'll expand our tort family in the coming months! I can't wait until his house is done, my muscles no longer ache, and he's in his new home.

So there you have it! A bit (or a bit more than a bit) about my tortoise "Molly" and our adventure together...

Heather

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Heather:

From the picture, I'm thinking some sort of Greek tortoise, not a Russian. Can we see more of him?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hmmm, so let's see...not "Molly"..."Maley"?...Muley?...Moley?...Meley?...Miley? No! Definitely not Miley, too overused. :rolleyes:

Maybe a whole different name? :p

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
Seriously?!?! Not a girl... not a russian....?????? Oh my goodness... talk about identity issues!! and Oh my gosh - what have I been doing wrong thinking I had something different.

Ok- I need to think about this <sigh>

RTM - I like some of your suggestions - :) I was trying to think of a boy/two girl combo names... any thoughts there?

Yvonne - What specifically should I photograph to give you a better feel??

Love him/her whatever it is!! but for goodness sakes. Does this group serve as a support group for bewildered moms as well??

Thanks for all of your help!

-Heather

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Give us a straight down shot from overhead, then turn him over and give us a straight down shot of the underside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup! Not a Russian. I'll send this thread's link to Danny, our resident I.D. expert.

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
Wow - thanks so much.. I'll look forward to hearing from the expert.

btw - what is it that tells you not a Russian?? They look so alike (to the less informed :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise is longer as opposed to round, and has a different, shiny pattern to his carapace.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have a female Caspian Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca buxtoni :D

Danny

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
wow - ok - thanks for your help! Why female??.. (you can't see it in the pic I don't think) It looks like a long tail tucked against the back leg to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.