Hello :)

RiehlSM

Location (City and/or State)
ohio
Hello, my name is Stacy, i'm new here and so glad I stumbled upon this! we just got a red footed tortoise today after a long and lost battle trying to bring an eastern box turtle back to 100% ( rescued her from someone who wasn't taking care of her) I'd like to tell you all a little about that....the boxie was malnourished, dehydrated, had shell rot, respiratory infection and a calcium deficiency....I had the vet put in a feeding tube ( his suggestion) and I gave her antibiotic injections along with another injection for about 2.5 weeks....soaked her, loved on her, got her tank to perfect conditions, kept her eyes moist and although for a short time she seemed like she was getting better, we lost her yesterday...I cried and i had words for the person I got her from ...they were feeding her canned green beans and not giving her any water...very dry conditions, then left her outside in a cage you'd put a rabbit in...we live in ohio and it was close to 10 degrees outside, (i know they can hibernate but she wasn't healthy enough and would've died)....so I'm pretty sure she was suffering the whole time despite my efforts....I'm sad and I cried...I tried so hard....

with that said, the turtle isn't (and cant ) a replacement but we've always had a love for turtles and since we had everything we needed, we went out today and got the red foot.....we named her shelly....she's happy and healthy and I look forward to getting to know all of you :)

Last edited:

Tim McIlroy

Nelson, New Zealand
Welcome to TFO Stacy and Shelly! Good job for trying your best with the box turtle and sometimes they are past the point of no return, you did all you could. :) Good luck for you and Shelly.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome Stacy. From the sounds of it, your rescued boxie was probably beyond help when you took possession. Green beans and outside in a rabbit cage in Dec/Jan is just cruel.

Good luck with your new guy Shelly.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Welcome from a fellow Ohio member! I'm so sorry about the box turtle, they are my favorites! Though easterns cant be kept without the proper permit, which im sure the original owner didnt have. I have two boxies myself in addition to a redfoot. What region of Ohio are you in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stacy and welcome to the Forum!

That's a real shame about the box turtle. So sorry.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello, Stacy and Shelly. Welcome, and I am sorry about the box turtle, but you certainly did you very best with him. Thank you!