Hello!

Cee

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
I've been a frequent lurker of this forum so I thought I should finally join. I have a Horsfield tortoise named Dumbledore, or Dumbledork, depending on whatever I feel like calling him. We've had him four years now and I'm starting to suspect he might be a she but I'm finding it hard to tell without a comparison. I shall post photos later for you experts. My profile avatar is Dumbledore on the first day we got him, Christmas 2013 so he's grown a considerable bit since then. He has a great little personality; very curious and more than a little bit cheeky.

Cee

Ireland
10177443_773015929384801_1156538602443032698_n.jpg

10269523_787964011223326_6397944296700921034_n.jpg

Cee

Ireland
Hard to believe those photos are three years old now. The second photo was my attempts to give him a Blastoise costume, but I didn't have enough pipettes so I improvised!

Oliver&Stoick

South Wales
Hello welcome to the Forum!
My Herman is just the same, he likes to climb a lot so he is always knocking the shelter in his enclosure down.

Oliver

Reactions: Cee

Cee

Ireland
We use a shoe box for the indoor shelter so he thankfully can't climb that, but he has climbed out of the enclosure before so we've put a garden border around it to stop that. It's not fun waking up in the morning, still half asleep and nearly stepping on the tortoise because he's managed to get out and has spent all night exploring! I'm sure he had fun though

Oliver&Stoick

South Wales
I have a dog as well so she will try to eat my Tortoise so we need to keep him enclosed until the dog is inside or something.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
We use a shoe box for the indoor shelter so he thankfully can't climb that, but he has climbed out of the enclosure before so we've put a garden border around it to stop that. It's not fun waking up in the morning, still half asleep and nearly stepping on the tortoise because he's managed to get out and has spent all night exploring! I'm sure he had fun though

Wait, your enclosure is a shoe box? That is way to small, even if it’s just for the night we’d stoll recommend something bigger. It’s dangerous for them to be roaming the floor, too.

kobe

india
I've been a frequent lurker of this forum so I thought I should finally join. I have a Horsfield tortoise named Dumbledore, or Dumbledork, depending on whatever I feel like calling him. We've had him four years now and I'm starting to suspect he might be a she but I'm finding it hard to tell without a comparison. I shall post photos later for you experts. My profile avatar is Dumbledore on the first day we got him, Christmas 2013 so he's grown a considerable bit since then. He has a great little personality; very curious and more than a little bit cheeky.
hi

Cee

Ireland
Wait, your enclosure is a shoe box? That is way to small, even if it’s just for the night we’d stoll recommend something bigger. It’s dangerous for them to be roaming the floor, too.

Not at all, the shoebox is in the enclosure as a hiding place. We only allow him out in supervised periods but this time, he had grown big enough to climb out of his enclosure. Hence why we built it up.

Snapchat-1088449776.jpg

Eduardo Hernandez

Okay! Just double checking! You’d be surprised what some people would do haha.

We don’t recommend them roaming the floor at all, supervised or not. Too many dangers that even with supervision could happen.

Cee

Ireland
I feel he would be bored stupid in the enclosures all day, every day. Even with the size it is, there's only so many times he can walk around it. He gets out either in the kitchen (after it's been hoovered) or another small spare room for a short while after his bath for the last four years we've had him. He's never tried to hide, there's nothing to crawl behind, or under except the chairs and a futon sofa that's a foot off the ground. He goes under the futon but he's never stayed, just adventuring. The floor gets hoovered daily, usually while he's soaking so there has never been anything on the ground that shouldn't be. There's no children to annoy him. He just runs around (occasionally stopping to stare at something that's caught his attention) until he's dry and goes back in. I'd love to build an entire room for him but I just don't have the funds or the space to do that yet.

Eduardo Hernandez

Torts don’t really get bored. That’s more of a human emotion.

I’m understand why you’re doing it, just letting you know that we on this forum tend to discourage people from doing it. We’ve heard it before, that’s it’s supervised, clean, etc. but we also get a lot of people later on saying that their tort got their head smashed by a door, stepped on, ate hairs. It’s also very cold on the floor. Just letting you know it’s not really encouraged here.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Another thing that happens when you let your tort roam the floor: They know that there is a world out there, and they will try to get to it. This means constantly crawling against walls until it gets let back out again.