Hello!

Linds94

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hi,

My name is Lindsay, I am brand new to this forum! I discovered it because I am saving up to buy a baby Russian Tortoise, and needed to get an idea of what I was going to need to keep it as healthy and happy as possible! This forum is amazing, and thanks already for all the information you guys post! If you have any suggestions as I start getting things together for my future tortoise please let me know!

Thanks! <3

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
There is a caresheet for Russians in the Species section so that you know what diet, temps, humidity and substrate etc he will need.
Have a look at the Beginners Mistakes thread (link bekow) to help you avoid the problems experienced by others The Enclosures thread has some great ideas.
Don't buy anything before checking here first; pet stores often give wrong advice and sell things like coiled bulbs which can damage tort eyes.
You don't need fancy water bowls - plant saucers are often safer and cheaper.
There's lots to learn but well done for researching first so you shouldn't have any nasty or expensive surprises.
Good luck!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
The first thing you need to grow a healthy tortoise is a HEALTHY hatchling. Lots of new information discovered in the last ten years so most books got it wrong. Buying a hatchling from someone here on the forum is the way to ensure a healthy tort that won't succumb months later to hatchly failure syndrome(a fancy way of saying a baby that was started too dry).

Linds94

Utah
Hi and welcome
There is a caresheet for Russians in the Species section so that you know what diet, temps, humidity and substrate etc he will need.
Have a look at the Beginners Mistakes thread (link bekow) to help you avoid the problems experienced by others The Enclosures thread has some great ideas.
Don't buy anything before checking here first; pet stores often give wrong advice and sell things like coiled bulbs which can damage tort eyes.
You don't need fancy water bowls - plant saucers are often safer and cheaper.
There's lots to learn but well done for researching first so you shouldn't have any nasty or expensive surprises.
Good luck!
Thank you so much!! those links helped so much, you are right I got a lot of weird information from the pet stores before I found this forum! I am so glad I found this before getting everything!

Linds94

Utah
The first thing you need to grow a healthy tortoise is a HEALTHY hatchling. Lots of new information discovered in the last ten years so most books got it wrong. Buying a hatchling from someone here on the forum is the way to ensure a healthy tort that won't succumb months later to hatchly failure syndrome(a fancy way of saying a baby that was started too dry).
Thanks so much! I found that the Tortoise Supply had a lot of really good reviews on this forum, I think I'm going to buy from them! :)