Hello!

sandersgrey

Location (City and/or State)
Washington DC
Hi, I've been reading a lot of stuff on the forums and thought I'd make an account. I don't have a tortoise (or any immediate plans to get one). I'm trying to figure out if I can take care of a tort as much as they would deserve. I live in an apartment in Washington DC. A tort is a responsibility I'll have for the rest of my lifetime and I want to make sure that I can provide a good home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Many people keep tortoises indoors all the time. It's a little costly to provide everything the tortoise needs, but it can be done.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The biggest problem is space. Even the smallest species will need a minimum of 4' x 8' except while it is a tiny baby. In the wild they roam miles and they still need lots of space in captivity

They are solitary. They don't get lonely and don't want a friend, so don't make the mistake of getting two!

This thread is a good starter to read: Beginner Mistakes
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

LoonyLovegood

Colorado Springs, CO
Hi and welcome! Definitely take your time researching all the tort species and browsing all the different types of indoor enclosures that best fit your lifestyle. That's what I did and my baby leos are in a 55 gallon storage bin for now. You could dedicate half a room for your tort if you have the space, or even the patio if you have one? Any pet is a responsibility but there's just something endearing about turtles and tortoises :)