Hello!

Amconaway88

Location (City and/or State)
Sandusky, Ohio
Hello everyone!

After extensive research (and a lot of begging from my husband and children) I recently purchased a red footed hatchling from a private breeder. I'm so excited for this new experience, and I can't wait to watch him grow!

A little about myself, my name is Anelise and I am a 29 year old wife and mother of 3 little boys. While I have little experience with tortoises, I do have a lot of experience with animals! My red-footed baby arrived this morning, about an hour ago, and after a soak he is now exploring his new home a bit! I have carefully followed all of the recommendations that I've read for his new home, and he seems to be doing well so far. My only concern, and I know I'm probably being neurotic, but he hasn't eaten yet. The breeder advised me to offer food after his soak when he arrived and I did, but he didn't seem interested. He did appear to drink a bit during his soak and was definitely very active!

How long does it normally take for a new hatchling to start to eat when you get it?

Any and all advice is welcomed! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1534432281210487303273.jpg
    1534432281210487303273.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 16

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome! It might take a week or more before he eats. Could we see a picture of your whole enclosure? He’s super cute!

LoonyLovegood

Colorado Springs, CO
Hi and welcome! I'm the same age and a mother of boys as well haha. I just got a baby leopard two days ago and still haven't seen her eat. Sometimes it just takes time for them to get used to their new surroundings :)

Amconaway88

Sandusky, Ohio
Thanks for calming my fears a little about his not eating!

His enclosure isn't completely finished yet, as we got the notice that he was arriving a few days earlier than we anticipated, but I'll include pictures so you can let me know if something isn't quite right! I currently have plastic over the humid area to help keep the levels up, and when I added the plastic it rose to about 87% humidity and is staying there. The ambient temperature in the warm side is 83, with the basking area 91. So far he hasn't really left the basking area, though he does occasionally walk a bit and attempt escape haha.

My husband is currently working on his permanent home, which will be a large, multilevel box with planter boxes on each side that will fit into some of the massive bay windows we have. I'm not in a hurry to get that done though as I feel it's going to be waaaay too big for him for a little while!

Thanks again for all of your advice and comments! I've raised newborn iguanas for years but this is a bit different!

Attachments

• 20180816_132459.jpg
    20180816_132459.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20180816_132521.jpg
    20180816_132521.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12