1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by elfwolfe, Oct 10, 2018.

1. elfwolfe

elfwolfe New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    San Antonio
    So, my name is Aeriana (though online I typically go by Elf :)), I am located in San Antonio, TX; and I found me a tortoise baby....

At first, I thought it was a sulcata hatchling and couldn't believe my luck! We were on the way to Urgent Care as I was having severe muscle spasms in my neck (I was rear ended in my work vehicle back in July and that is when they started), I walked around my car in the garage and found it just chilling on the ground right next to the garage door... we usually keep one or both garage doors cracked open during the summer due to the heat, and suspect a bird dropped its lunch and "helped" it over the 2" lip into my garage. Anyway, I was familiar with the keeping of reptiles needs as I had worked at a pet store years ago and therefore knew they had certain requirements to survive, so during my 4 hour stay at UC, I researched what I needed, went to the store and got it all. This all happened this past Sunday.

Found out yesterday that it wasn't a sulcata I found, but a Texas Tortoise.... I am a Texas native and never knew we had our own tortoise!!!! So, I had a call from TPW Officer today (which I was expecting as they are a threatened species) and they said I had a very good setup and they were impressed with it (even asked if I would be interested in becoming a permitted rehaber). I will be handing over this tiny guy on Friday :( (much to my daughters disappointment). But given that I have been enjoying taking care of it, and my daughter was so looking forward to keeping it, I guess I will be looking for a "real" sulcata baby to get :).

thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail.jpg
  2. irishkitty

irishkitty Well-Known Member

Tucson, AZ
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Sulcata tortoises are available in abundance. I see them listed on Craigslist all the time. Lots of breeders in the United States too! So you'll have no problem finding one.
  3. LaLaP

LaLaP Active Member

Portland, OR
    Hello and welcome to the forum! What a cute little guy you found! You'll get lots of good information here for when you find your new tortoise. Be sure to read up on humidity requirements for little sulcatas :)
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    Aw, too bad you couldn't have kept him.

Welcome!