Hello

astridthetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire
Hi, my name is Sara and my Tortoise is called Astrid. We live in England. I have owned tortoises before but this is my only one now and he/she is 1year3months. I refer to her as a she [emoji5]. I just wanted to post pictures and talk about her enclosure and just ask general advice on if I’m doing the right thing. She has sterilised soil with calcium bits as a substrate, and a UV&heat lamp combined. She is eating a lot and doing a toilet daily. Her lamps go on at 7am and off at 7pm.
My main questions-
is this substrate ok?
What do your tortoises like to eat and what do you tend to give as a varied diet?
Mine likes romaine lettuce, cress, and kale. She doesn’t like radicchio at all !
Thanks ! IMG_2591.jpgIMG_2592.jpgIMG_2651.jpg

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi, nice tort you got there, substrate wise have you noticed her eating it. I don't know why they put those calcium bits in as it just encourages tortoises to eat the soil. I'm in England as well have you noticed she doesn't eat much or less active as winters coming?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, a little Russian baby! He's just so darned cute!!!!

He Sara, and welcome to the Forum! We have a pretty good care sheet for Russian babies here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

I think you'll find quite a few different food choices in that care sheet.

We don't usually like to use the substrate with those white bits in it due to encouraging the baby to eat his substrate. This might cause a blockage and a pretty sick baby.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Welcome! That's such a lovely tortoise you've got.

-Thomas

astridthetortoise

Hertfordshire
Hi! Thank you all for your advice. Does anyone have a website where I can buy just sterilised top soil without the calcium bits? She hasn’t ate any but I’ve seen her smelling them!

astridthetortoise

Hertfordshire
Hi, nice tort you got there, substrate wise have you noticed her eating it. I don't know why they put those calcium bits in as it just encourages tortoises to eat the soil. I'm in England as well have you noticed she doesn't eat much or less active as winters coming?

I haven’t had her very long only 3 weeks Ish. She eats quite a lot and is active