Hello!

zhivaham

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I’m currently mom to a dog, three bunnies, three snakes, a gecko, and around 100 aquatic creatures. I have always LOVED sulcatas and am now in a place where I can fully commit to the life (at least until I die anyway) of a giant tortoise. I want to start out with a hatchling so I can watch it grow up too.

I’ve never had any sort of turtle before so I’m here to learn as much as I possibly can. Through reading stickies, I’ve already learned so much about baby sulcata care. The room I plan on keeping the baby in for the first couple of years is constantly at around ~75-80 degrees ambient temperature and 55-60% humidity simply because there are so many heated aquariums in it. Will this affect the lighting I use? I have never kept a reptile that’s needed basking or heat bulbs before and I think that’s where I’m getting the most confused. Also, any closed chamber I use will get to 99% humidity quickly (had this issue with my ball python); from what I’ve seen they should be around 80% so I’m torn on how I should set it up. I have tons of questions but I’ll read through some more threads first. Thanks for reading!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
The higher the humidity, the better! A Sulcata would thrive with humidity that high, as long as temps are constantly above 80 in the coolest part of the enclosure, day or night.

With temps like that, you likely won’t have to use a very high wattage basking bulb. Be sure that you have a CHE or radiant heat panel on a thermostat to keep ambients and night temps above 80.

I’m sure you’ve already read it, but if you haven’t, Be sure to give these a read :)
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome sounds like you're on the right track. Sullies are great friends!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to the forum!

There's a ton of useful information and helpful people to be found in wandering around through threads new and old on TFO.

Good luck, and have fun!

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Welcome to the Forum! Baby sulcatas are a blast, and there's always plenty of them so you'll have no trouble finding one. I would just recommend getting one from a reputable breeder who doesn't start them dry. It will be much healthier and thrive nicely.