Hello!

Zacattack95

Location (City and/or State)
Orem UT
Hi, I'm new here and from Orem UT. My wife and I bought a baby cherry head about a week ago. His name is Tank and he is about 3 months old. I purchased him from tortstork. Just posting to say hi and have a quick question.
I built an enclosure that is 2X4. It is enclosed(I'll attach pics). I cant seem to maintain a humidity over 65-68%. After I mist it down it will stay 75-85% for about 30min and go back down to 62-68%. Is there anything anyone recommends to be able to keep it higher?
I've done a few things to try to improve it. I blocked out the air vents with plastic wrap to see if it helps moisture not escape. It had minimal effect. I have a 60w che on the right side and a 100w in the left. I took out the 100w (since it made it too hot and it made the humidity go down a lot faster), I havent replaced it with another 60w but plan to. I've moistened the substrate down to the bottom (about 2-3in).
The next thing I plan on doing is buying a mister or a fogger, but wanted to see what others may recommend. Thanks!20190909_104023.jpeg20190909_104041.jpeg20190909_111029.jpeg20190909_105020.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

That sure is a pretty tortoise. It looks to me as if your substrate is too dry. I pour a pitcherful of water over the substrate then mix it all in with my hand. Eventually the lights will dry out the top layer (which is what you want) but it will still be moist underneath. Adding a few plants will help with humidity too.

Zacattack95

Orem UT
Hi and welcome!

That sure is a pretty tortoise. It looks to me as if your substrate is too dry. I pour a pitcherful of water over the substrate then mix it all in with my hand. Eventually the lights will dry out the top layer (which is what you want) but it will still be moist underneath. Adding a few plants will help with humidity too.
I've done that a little before, but maybe I didnt do it good enough. Also what plants could you recommend for a cherry head?