Hello

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
I have enjoyed reading this forum for the past few years and would love to own a tortoise someday. I am really close to adopting one but the right opportunity has not come along. I absolutely love tortoises and find them incredibly fascinating.

You are in the right place for the best information on keeping tortoises. I commend you for doing the research first, most people don't, myself included. You will definitely save yourself a lot of time, headaches and money! I know it can be overwhelming to get the specs correct and a good set up going but once everything is good keeping tortoises is rather easy and pretty rewarding.

Amylovestorts

Hendersonville, NC
Thank you! Our weather in western North Carolina is high humidity and lots of rain. As much as I love the African tortoises, and was very tempted to adopt a large male sulcata, I am afraid our environment is not suitable for a dry desert species.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Thank you! Our weather in western North Carolina is high humidity and lots of rain. As much as I love the African tortoises, and was very tempted to adopt a large male sulcata, I am afraid our environment is not suitable for a dry desert species.
Humidity is good for all tortoises. There is no such thing as a desert species, there is plenty of vegetation where all tortoises live.

Amylovestorts

Hendersonville, NC
So do you think an outdoor environment with a proper shed could be created for a large Sulcata in western North Carolina? We do have a large backyard but it does get very rainy here and pretty cold in the winter.

Tortoiseguy804

Today is my birthday!
South chesterfield Virginia
So do you think an outdoor environment with a proper shed could be created for a large Sulcata in western North Carolina? We do have a large backyard but it does get very rainy here and pretty cold in the winter.
I have sulcatas and I live in Virginia, there only baby's right now but when they are big enough to live outside I plan on building a box with a heater in it and closing them in there at night so they don't get sick, and during the summer the weather is perfect for sulcatas

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Where you live, you get some snow, but it usually doesn't last long, even in the mountains. And your winters are generally fairly short...maybe Dec, Jan, Feb for cold and snowy?

If I'm close to correct for your climate, a sulcata would do OK for you. You would need his outdoor enclosure to be in an area where rainwater does not flood or pool. And you would need a heated, insulated night box for night, and daytime when the weather is nasty.

Here is our care sheet for sulcatas, and some info about night boxes. If you are considering getting a hatchling, we have lots of info on that as well.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Welcome. A sulcata would do OK, but you would need a night box with supplemental heat for at least 4-5 months out of the year, and be prepared to bring the tortoise inside during extreme winter weather.

You could also consider a mountain tortoise (Manouria emys) if you are just looking for a large tortoise. They are not quite as much of a "beginner" species, but they are better adapted to the cooler / wetter climate, and might need less supplemental heat than a sulcata.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Do as much research as you can, and you might find it easier to get a baby ! Every time I consider adopting another tortoise, I can never find one! So I have ended up with my babies instead.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
You are in the right place for the best information on keeping tortoises. I commend you for doing the research first, most people don't, myself included. You will definitely save yourself a lot of time, headaches and money! I know it can be overwhelming to get the specs correct and a good set up going but once everything is good keeping tortoises is rather easy and pretty rewarding.
I totally agree...and Welcome

Amylovestorts

Hendersonville, NC
As an artist I know I will truly enjoy the process of setting up my future tortoise’s home. I have found some great posts on here from tortoise owners who have created the most amazing enclosures. I also love the idea of growing some of their favorite foods.